A Beacon - Trying To Identify

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N1BCG, Sep 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

This is what it looks like 2.2 miles away:

D7F87821-F3DC-49F2-855E-773DE08C5358.jpeg

FCEA3679-9555-4715-90E0-4095E17B4E6B.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

A few years ago, I noticed strong signals just above 6 Meters on an IC-746. Our club's "NASA expert" operator insisted it was from the radar of a nearby cruise ship. After all, he had a GROL with radar endorsement. Thing is, even after the ship was was off the coast of Mexico, the signals were as strong as ever. DUH! That's TV Channel 2, alive and active in "Wrong Beach" and Los Angeles. Radar, my foot! So much for a "NASA expert."

3. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, well, WELL! It seems that the mystery beacon has been identified!

I was tipped off by a fellow amateur who heard my discussion of this on the air. I had recounted how the "beacon" had a range of several miles, was modulated by patterns of messy squarewave tones, seemed to have a horizontal polarization, and even moved location to another residential area in a nearby town.

I was sent a link to a device called the "Perl M+" which used 27.125mc to transmit therapeutic signals to anyone within a 30 foot range via a plasma tube mounted on the chassis.

HUH???

Yep. Here's a video showing the device in action and you can hear the high frequency pulsing modulation (scroll in to 2:52):

The Perl M+ even has an SWR meter on the front:

Perl_M+_1.jpg

Notice the similarity to the MFJ 815D?

MFJ-815D.jpg

If the forward power is calibrated then the meter is showing that the Perl M+ is generating 100 Watts of carrier! YOW!

Perl_M+_2.jpg

This video shows how the ProGen II 4050 function generator is programmed (scroll in to 4:35):

And this video shows what the "beacon" looked like on an SDR at my house 2+ miles away:

An explanation of how CB radio can be used to fight cancer (bet you had no idea):

"...just like Tesla, the PERL uses Resonant Capacitive Coupling. Due to its 27.125 MHz carrier wave can be effective at distances up to 30 feet . It accomplishes this via Oscillating Pulsed Electrical Fields (OPEF) emitted by the plasma tube. These fields being pulsed, are then Capacitively Coupled to the body and resonantly absorbed in the form of frequencies to produce physiologic effects at a distance. The Inverse Square Law does not apply !"

More from the manufacturer, Resonant Light Technology (https://www.resonantlight.com) and how 6M contesting can make you a healthy and virile hamateur!:

"First, the body is an antenna and will actually produce a “gain” to the signal strength via a natural resonance. The best resonant gain is at around 50 MHz, but there is still a very good resonance gain at 27 MHz as well.

This brings up a point, a human body’s resonance and gain at 3.3 MHz is relatively very poor compared to the resonance and gain at 27.125 MHz. Due to poor resonance and little to no gain, devices with a 3.3 MHz carrier are subject to the Inverse Square Law and must be used close to the body to maximize delivery of frequencies. The manufacturers in fact recommend their customers use the devices very close (within inches) to the body.

Further the first harmonic of 27.125 MHz is 54.25 MHz; a harmonic of the carrier wave that the PERL produces. This carrier harmonic includes sidebands and this is right at the peak of body absorption.

Second, the human body is a capacitor – why one can walk across a carpet and get a shock by touching a door knob. Capacitors of course store energy. In the case of the just mentioned sparking/shock a human body can store thousands of volts of energy !

This all brings us to the method, a subset of what is known as Wireless Resonant Energy Transfer (WRET). WRET is currently used to charge different electrical devices especially cell phones , with the device being in proximity to the field of the charging device. Most of the commercial devices using WRET use magnetic fields to transfer energy wirelessly via induction. Induction works only across a small distance and is also subject to the Inverse Square Law. This is where things get all confused. The PERL does not use Resonant Induction to transfer energy.

As is known, the plasma tube converts RF into an intense Oscillating Electric Field. The wavelength of 27.125 MHz is 35.6 feet . This is important, for the effective distance of the PERL is dependent upon the wavelength of the carrier wave. As the body can act like a capacitor and also is very resonant at 27 MHz, the PERL transmits energy to the human body via what is known as Resonant Capacitive Coupling
    ."

Incredible, isn't it? Unfortunately, Health Canada disagrees (and that's where this device is made):

NOTICE: Regarding Canadian Purchases of the Phorle: Model PERL

After four and a half years, Health Canada suspended Resonant Light Technology Inc., Class II Medical Device Licence on December 7th, 2006 because the PERL was not a TENS device by their definition.With this suspension, Resonant Light Technology Inc. cannot sell the PERL as a therapeutic device for use on humans within Canada.

https://web.archive.org/web/2009042....com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=973

So there you go. Material for a QRZ thread: "Does CB Radio cure cancer?"

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    W0PV, KB4QAA and WE4B like this.
  4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

"The PERL uses a carrier wave to deliver frequencies safely to your entire body at the deepest cellular level. Best of all, everyone within the device’s range gets the benefits too!" :eek:

N1BCG likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

So, I can modulate tones on channel 14 at a kilowatt and cure cancer? Kewl! :eek: :rolleyes:

6. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

KP4SX likes this.
  7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I know what kind of plants these wackos are growing.

https://www.resonantlight.com/perl-mplus/

I'm amazed that people fall for this quackery.

8. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Considering that was eons ago I would assume the batteries are not only dead but corroded

9. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

If it were a Radio Shack pager or car alarm, it would likely be operating on one of the non-CB frequencies sandwiched in among the CB channels: 26.995, 27.045, 27.095, 27.145, or 27.195. It shouldn't be operating on one of the actual CB channels. I once had a wireless mouse for my laptop that operated on 27.145.

10. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Re: my post above, there are actually five remote control/paging/data/etc channels in among the CB channels, and I also believe that channel 23, 27.255 is also occasionally used for remote control as well. I remember once hearing some splatter on 10 meters and tuning down to 27 MHZ to hear what apparently was someone playing with a remote control car.