ad: Amateur-1

A Beacon - Trying To Identify

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N1BCG, Sep 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I came across a strange signal on 54.25mc while bandwidth testing a 6M antenna, but it turned out that I was hearing a harmonic from 27.125, also known as CH14 on the 11M band. The signal consisted of a steady carrier amplitude modulated by evenly spaced, single frequency bursts (beeps), which decend in audio frequency in steps every few minutes, then the process repeats.

After a bit of research I discovered that "Driftnet Radio Buoys" can operate on that frequency, but these transmit an identifier. Other possibilities include Radio Shack pagers and car alarms that transmit a tracking signal.

It's got some range to it as these videos show reception over two miles away over hilly terrain. The second video shows the presence of more than one "beacon" with the receiver in SSB mode..

Using a fox hunt process, the signal was tracked to a home in a residential area.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Most likely a LID, which on CB is kind of an oxymoron. The fact that there is a strong second harmonic says a lot about the lack of quality of the transmitted signal which is almost certainly overdriven.

Next order of business would be to provide the time, date/dates, and your videos, along with the location, to the FCC and leave it at that. If the signal was not interfering on 6 meters I wouldn't waste my time, but it is encroaching on a ham band.

3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the "home" have any visible external antennas?

W8NSI likes this.
  4. N1BCG

No, not at all. Not even a TV antenna.

I had considered asking the residents about it, but since it’s not interfering with amateur radio, it would be hard to discuss it as anything other than a curiosity.

5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just looked at my earlier post and you are correct, it is outside of the six meter band so I suppose doing nothing would be the easiest course of action.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

54.25 MHz is within a ham band? Not last time I checked. However, Channel 2 TV if in your area might be interested?

7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

CBers running FT-8 like all CBers do. :):) You're a ham now. Get rid of that Navajo. It is culture appropriation.

N1BCG likes this.
  8. N1BCG

Whatever it is, it’s wide...

384305E1-7B00-44D4-90A6-DB66B26903BF.jpeg

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Some people get to have all the fun.. ;)

10. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Years ago I had a similar problem with a pulse modulated signal coming from that approximate frequency band. There is a remote control toy controller channel in that region between CB channels 14 and 15 if I remember correctly. In my case, the interference was coming from my son's closet where the remote control for his RC car was stuck with the remote on and transmitting.

Also, don't forget a million or two toy walkie talkies are on CB channel 14.

N2UHC and KB4QAA like this.