ad: CQMM-1

A 10 Year Amateur Radio Special Event starts in February!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NF7E, Jan 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NF7E

NF7E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Northern Arizona DX Association will be conducting a 10 year special event countdown to the 100th anniversary of the historic discovery of Pluto by Clyde Tombaugh at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona. This 9 day annual event , as W7P , will be held every February through the 2030 anniversary with the inaugural event February 13-21, 2021(UTC).
    Club members will be operating from Lowell Observatory and their home QTHs and each year of the countdown will feature a new QSL with subjects centered around Clyde, his discovery, the moons of Pluto, some of his homebrewed telescopes he used, etc., with lots of great information about this historic discovery.

A beautiful 8 X 10 color certificate , suitable for framing, with endorsement stickers for each year worked during the event will be available.

Each year, Doug Tombaugh(N3PDT), Clyde Tombaugh's nephew will be operating during the event at W7P/0 and a contact with him or his team, counts as an additional endorsement on the certificate.

More information can be found on QRZ's callsign lookup of W7P.

We hope to work all of you during this fun, educational event.
    Bob Wertz, NF7E
    Pluto event coordinator:
    Additional information on the Pluto Countdown event can be found at :
    http://www.nadxa.com/w7p_pluto_2030.html

[​IMG] [​IMG]

AG5DB, K7IWW, N3RMC and 14 others like this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bery cool. I need some exotic wallpaper

N1VAU likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Pretty ambitions - takes NINE YEARS to get a clean sweep!! :eek::)

Dave
    W7UUU

KS4TD, N2SUB, K4MID and 2 others like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe in 2030, I'll post here that I did my 2021 contact the old fashioned way, using FT8, before they ruined ham radio with [insert mode].

KB2ANG, KI7DAX, W1EZE and 4 others like this.
  6. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

While in college I had a chemistry lab instructor who was a graduate astronomy student. I had to find her to turn in a lab report. I went to the astronomy department looking for her when Dr. Tombaugh asked if he could help me. So I actually got to meet him. He was pretty well along in years at that point but I guess he still spent time there. He was very nice.

KC6UKO, KS4TD, K6NLX and 3 others like this.
  7. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Ten years to finish it? Definitely a reason not to move out of my QTH. For more on this little world see "Plutonic Love" at
    http://werewolf.co.nz/2012/05/plutonic-love/ or just Google "Pluto demoted cartoon" for some laughs.

K2WT likes this.
  8. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey that's cool. I wrote Van Allen, Heisenberg and Mandelbrot asking for autographs. They all replied, the latter on a fractal I'd enclosed with an SASE. I think most of these folks are happy that people appreciate the work they love to do.

KS4TD, K0UO and 2E0TWD like this.
  9. AF5CC

AF5CC Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea, I will be looking for them.

And yes, Pluto is still a planet!!

73 John AF5CC

10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes it is is planet to most of us

KE5PPH likes this.
  11. W9QQ

W9QQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As the City Manager of Streator, Illinois, Clyde Tombaugh's birthplace and boyhood hometown, I'm definitely going to participate in the special event. Streator honors Tombaugh with a large Walldogs painted sign downtown and a memorial plaque and artwork at a city golf course. I appreciate the efforts of the Northern Arizona DX Association to promote Tombaugh and his discovery of Pluto.

73. Dave Plyman W9QQ

KS4TD and KD7RF like this.
  12. W6JPG

W6JPG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm in. it will give me a reason to live another 10 years, like I need one.

John W6JPG 73's

KS4TD likes this.
  13. N7SMD

N7SMD Ham Member QRZ Page

As a member of the NADXA club, I'm looking forward to logging done of you during this year's event.
    Scott, N7SMD

KS4TD likes this.
  14. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, my 10 y/o grand daughter wants to be an astronomer, and walks around reciting facts about the cosmos. AND, a few weekends ago, she heard a CW QSO I was having and wanted the 411. I showed her the chart of letters and numbers and told her it was another language. She digested that for a weekend, and now she will occasionally speak to me in CW. This will be right up her ally.....oh, that's also her name, Ally. LOL

KI5AAI, KS4TD, N4KCD and 1 other person like this.
  15. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I read a book about Tombaugh and his search for Pluto. The way he would compare photos inspired me to use it comparing data base entries! Looking forward to this.

KS4TD likes this.