9700 settings for 2m meteor scatter?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KO4LZ, Jul 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings all,

I'm using a 9700 for 2 meter weak signal work (mostly meteor scatter at this point) and I was wondering if any other 9700 owners had any advice regarding the preamp and noise reduction -- should I leave them off or turn them on? I'm also running FIL1 (full 3K), with the assumption that a narrower filter would be a bad idea.

I understand that this is partly a function of the environment: I'm in a relatively low-noise area and am lucky to hear even one signal at a time, much less multiple signals :) Regardless of settings, I adjust audio to be around 30 dB in WSJT.

Any advice or experiences from other 9700 owners would be warmly welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks, Paul - KO4LZ

2. KN4ZKT

KN4ZKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't own a 9700 (thinking of picking one up) but from my understanding and learning about the 9700 you need to run the pre-amp on 2m, without it, it's quite deaf.

3. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes always pre-amp on.

I too have the 9700, love it but pre-amp on and would recommend FIL 3, not FIL 1.

KO4LZ likes this.
  4. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. I have used it both ways (preamp on and off) and got decodes, just looking to squeeze whatever else I can out of the radio :)

While I would use FIL3 for CW, I imagine it wouldn't be a good idea for digital modes like MSK144 or FT8. Looking at these modes on a spec an, they seem to occupy almost the entire 3 kHz.

Also, any suggestions about noise reduction (NR) for digital modes? Again, would use it for CW or SSB, not so sure about digital. My noise floor here is fairly low.

5. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No NB or NR for FT8 or for any digital mode.

It will blank some data.

Also, no Compression.

6. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

On HF they may have a 3KHz segment, but on VHF it is usually narrower in practice. Thats why FIL3 may be a bit of help over a wider FIL1 or 2, and a LNA with a good NF may help even more. I would try FIL2 and if you can go with soft vs sharp filters, I'd try sharp. I haven't used the 9700 yet so it may be different in the filter shapes than my 7600.

Here there aren't many ops on 2m digital yet compared to other modes (6m is another story), so its not crowded on 144.174 even during contests for FT8, and MSK is far less used on 2m here compared to 6m.