900 MHz

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD7LDH, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N0XAS

N0XAS Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KD7LDH @ July 20 2002,01:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For my pager Idea heres how it would work:[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    OK...  now what earthly use would I have for yet another pager to carry, that can only be used to send non-commercial messages from other hams?  Unless I'm extremely active in ARES or Skywarn or something -- in which case I would already have my pocket-sized HT with PL squelch -- there's no reason it would interest me.  I already carry a pager, my wife can use it and I can send replies.  

Hmm, wait a minute, my wife COULDN'T use a ham only pager...  now it suddenly seems like a better idea...  [​IMG]

Seriously, I'd have less use for that than for APRS.  My point here is not to shoot down your idea, just to point out that it would probably have very limited appeal.  The 33cm band isn't going to replace 2 meters any time soon, I'm afraid.  I do have plans to dissect a few old defunct cordless phones, though, to see if I can scavenge some parts or modules from them to play around with and see if I can get any others around here interested in doing the same. A CW beacon is probably one of the first items on the to-do list, just to see if anyone IS listening.

Just wish more people were more inclined to think like technicians and do some experimenting.  I can rip this phone or whatever device apart and do pretty much anything I want with it as long as I ID, and stick a hefty amp on it, whatever...  there's a lot of possibilities there.

Dale

2. KC7HDE

KC7HDE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I say buy or make a repeater and let your local club in on the Idea.
    Advertisment is the only way that the 902mhz will get used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.