ad: M2Ant-1

900 MHz

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD7LDH, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD7LDH

KD7LDH QRZ Member QRZ Page

Does anyone use the 900 MHz Band (902 - 928)?

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There is VERY little activity on the 902 MHz band. I have to admit that I don't have anything that will really operate up there. I do have the 1.8 through 432 MHz bands covered, but not 902!

Glen, K9STH

3. WB2GOF

WB2GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing.  Exactly that.  Around here, there is little activity on 220MHz, and practically nothing on 900 MHz.  I have monitored those bands periodically and find them very underutilized.  My Alinco DJ-V5T HT can receive on those bands, and because of the inactivity, I have decided not to invest in a rig to work there.  How unfortunate!

4. N7CPC

N7CPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Leme get this straight........No one is on the band 'cause no one hears anyone on the band......Maybe if no and any just got off the band then every would check it out.

I think Riley should send the One boys a form letter! No, Any and Every sure mess things up for US!

Fact is, in my case, I didn't even know we had that band as it wasn't ours when last I was in the avocation. Which segways into my next question.....Who makes nine hundred megahertz gear? Sounds very close to microwave, which means homebrew would be a head ache.

It sure sounds like a nice big chunk of spectrum. I would guess it ain't much good for DX even when atmospheric conditions are favorable for ducting. ( could be wrong about that ).

All things considered, it's a good question. Why don't more operators use it for local work?

73 de Craig...........N7CPC

5. KD7LDH

KD7LDH QRZ Member QRZ Page

Well My cordless phone I found out is in that band. Also I doubt it is microwave because last I checked 30 to 300 is microwave (or is it that is the bad microwave part of microwave). I did some reseach and found a few repeaters.

Here is an Idea (please tell me if this would be legal):

A Ham Pager network on 220 or 900 ----> We use the POCSAG Protocol and some old pagers and have a ham pager network Lets see how that works out

6. AC7UX

AC7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

CPC you have spent to much time yawning and not enough time awake knowing where you can and cannot operate. its really to bad to, because if you dont use`em, you will lose`em. here in phoenix i have been trying to get more people interested in these bands. time to spend some more money i guess. 220 mhz is a good band. and LDH, since you dont live to far from me, i will be looking forward to working you on 1.25 centimeters (222.0 - 225.0 mhz ) and 33 centimeters ( 902.0 -928.0 mhz )

7. WB2GOF

WB2GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe CPC is a narcoleptic.

8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, quite a number of companies make equipment that will work on the 900 MHz band. However, probably 99 percent of this is set up for trunking and is pretty expensive. Companies like Motorola, Uniden, Ericsson (used to be GE), etc., have been making equipment for the 896 MHz commercial band for well over 10 years.

Some of this equipment has the ability to use "talk around", which is nothing more than simplex on the repeater frequency.

It would be possible to modify this equipment for amateur use, and some of it is getting old enough to start becoming available at pretty cheap prices.

For CPC: The 902 - 928 MHz band lies between the 70 cm band ("432" - acutally 420 MHz - 450 MHz) and the "1296" band that has been around for decades. The 902 MHz band has been available for amateur use on a secondary basis for a number of years. There are a very few FM units available with 1296 MHz capabilities.

Glen, K9STH

9. mackinac

mackinac Banned

There is not much activity on 902MHz but interest does seem to be growing.  I am not yet on myself, but have been looking for some equipment to convert.  The band does have an advantage over 220 and 1240MHz in that there is land mobile equipment on nearby frequencies that is not too difficult to convert.

The Bat Labs discussion board has a group for 902MHz conversions and there is a Yahoo mail list: AR902MHz.

10. WA6CAW

WA6CAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Glen, your going to have to keep up with the name changes. It goes like this:

1-GE
    2-Ericsson
    3-Ma-com
    4-Tyco-MA-com
    5- I think it's getting ready to change again, as Tyco is in financial trouble.

How bout that Motorola....from 150,000 employees to 93,000 by the end of this year.  Good ol' Chris Galvin really knows how to run a company.....into the ground!

Anyway, the 902-928 in the major urban areas is quite busy with the shared people licensed on the band. People like Teletrac(AVL system), Airphone, ISM, and a host of low power "wireless" applications.

Maybe you know the power limitations for the ARS in the 900 band. I don't remember, but there are commercial licenses that operate at high power, like 700 to 1KW eirp.

Out in the less populated areas, the band is probably very clean.

Let me know on the power for ARS,

Thanks,

Lou, WA6CAW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.