ad: k1jek

900 MHz CB. I had no idea

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W8AAZ, Feb 15, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had no idea that there was in the past, a CB band on 900 somewhere in the world. See vid about. Too bad it is above 928 or we could maybe get cheap radios.

2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom made Japanese CB radios that could be used on 33cm.

3. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't interfere with my 1980s 900mhz Uniden wireless phone!

N2NJO likes this.
  4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the 70's there were se several proposals in the USA to create a new CB band on either 220mhz or on 900 mhz. Neither one got traction, but General Electric actually produced some prototype 900 mhz equipment.

5. KN4EHX

KN4EHX Ham Member QRZ Page

Motorola makes license free 900 MHz radios in their DTR series. They work oddly well in urban areas. We got about 2 miles range crystal clear on them in small East Tennessee town. One person was in a building and I was inside a moving car. Throughly impressed both of us. The friend picked up I think 4 of them with a 6 bay charger for about $40 when a furniture business closed. The radios are a few hundred a piece otherwise. Frequency hopping spread spectrum so I understand.

6. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Trisquare XRS series are also 900 FHSS. A lot cheaper than the /\/\ DTRs.

7. KB7NRN

KB7NRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes but does the XRS send text like the DTR?

8. KN4EHX

KN4EHX Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/trisquare-tsx-300-2vp.html

According to the specs it does but they also say it has “an astounding 10 billion channels”. I’m gonna take that one with a big pinch of salt. Big M’s DTR series are very well built. Public service folk are rough on radios, but the guy working the dock who really hates having to carry a radio is even tougher on them. Obviously I’m not going to torture test a DTR but in hand you know you are holding a solid piece that is a quality radio. Dropping a DTR on a tile floor you might want to look at the floor first to make sure the tile didn’t crack.

The one major plus to the DTR - at radio conventions it seems to not have any issues with interference that 2 meters and 70 centimeters have. Inside buildings or large metro areas they really shine.

9. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

My two kids used to call my station my "Dumb Toy Radio", which they changed to "DTR".

They still do from time to time.

10. G0VKT

G0VKT Ham Member QRZ Page

When CB was legalised in the UK in 1981 there was also a 934MHz band. This lasted until 1998 when the band was withdrawn.

Paul G0VKT