+9 noise level 256 days a year. any help?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N9ZDZ, Mar 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6AFS

K6AFS Ham Member QRZ Page

Local power company here told me one time they acted on a similar noise complaint by a local ham. The action resulted to a drug bust into a private home nearby that was converted to an illegal indoor greenhouse. They grew marijuana plants using powerful switching power supplies to power the computer controlled grow/heat lamps operating 24/7. The switching supplies were all non FCC certified and pushed enormous amounts of conducted emc back the AC grids traveling for miles.

2. N9ZDZ

N9ZDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The issue has been found in my attic somewhere there seems to be a short somewhere up there next is to go up and see what the problem is and get it fixed . I took my car battery out of my truck and hooked it to my radio and killed all the power in the house after I noticed the noise was gone and then started to go threw each breaker one by one . and traced to 1 line .

3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice job, that's the way to track this stuff down. It could easily be a loose electrical connection but it could also be anything else electronic including things like an alarm system or any kind of wall wart power supply that's running off that attic circuit.

Good reminder to others to follow the common advice to first eliminate all noise sources in your own home before thinking it must be coming from elsewhere.

4. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sooooo.... What was it in your ATTIC ?
    Old, unused television Pre-Amp ?
    Cable TeeVee splitter ?
    Ya can't leave us hanging after 8 pages, that's just not right...

5. N9ZDZ

i dont know yet haven't been up there yet will keep you all posted

6. N9ZDZ

well some how the noise came back last light I still have the breaker tuned off so looks like there might be another issue somewhere in my attic .

7. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Literal electrical gremlins livin' up there, rent free! It might be likely that the bad line in the attic was just acting as a near field antenna for your noise, but it was just radiating something already on your shared circuit from the power company.

8. ZS6BV

ZS6BV Ham Member QRZ Page

Electrical utilities use capacitive coupled AM telemetry for monitoring sub stations and depending on the frequencies used can cause a lot of noise on certain bands.
    Not sure about the US though.