+9 noise level 256 days a year. any help?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N9ZDZ, Mar 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

They can work good, If the interference is only coming from 1 direction.

N9ZDZ and G5TM like this.
  2. N9ZDZ

N9ZDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Its really bad now.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  3. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I have hat problem till I ask my wife to be quiet.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did I miss something, or was the question asked why only 256 days a year?

5. VE3CLG

VE3CLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes the rest of the days radio is off ?

6. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what I was wondering. Does this noise goo away for 100 days a year? If so, are those rainy days or dry days or days when some local shop isn't open or something else? Or was that just a typo and the noise is present 365 days a year?

It seems clear from the audio on those linked videos that there's a substantial noise source somewhere near the antenna. Sure common mode or other things could contribute but there is a significant noise generator somewhere near his location. I'd try to track it down using all available methods like a battery powered airband receiver to try to pinpoint where that noise is coming from and work with whatever person or agency it takes to eliminate the noise at its source. It could be many things including switching power supplies, invisible dog fences, cracked power line insulators, neon or other lights, leaky data lines, remote meter reading systems or other things but there's almost certainly some large RFI generator near the operating location and band aids like common mode chokes and phasing noise cancellation systems likely won't cure the underlying problem.

7. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ sells a tunable interference filter called MFJ-1025. It tunes out noise from one direction. Easier to use vs changing your antenna location, but expensive.

8. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With all due respect, you three need to read all the entries in threads before you chime in. To wit:

9. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I'm not mistaken, it's from one source - not "direction."

K8AI likes this.
  10. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What? One source must be in one direction.