+9 noise level 256 days a year. any help?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N9ZDZ, Mar 30, 2019.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you watch the posted video at around 1:05 min. you will see the white noise hash is also present on other bands.

So no, it's not just occurring on a single band.

Naturally, as you go higher in frequency there's a reduction in the signal strength of the noise, but it's still there.

AA5CT likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Such noise levels are also often dictated by the antennas and how efficient they are at various parts of the spectrum.

I can blind-switch my own antenna switch at home (without looking at it or paying attention to its position) just listening to "band noise" on my receiver(s). When the "right" antenna is selected, the noise picks up.

That includes signals, atmospheric noise, and also RFI!:p

N0TZU and WQ4G like this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct.

An antenna is going to pick up the noise with greater signal strength on the band the antenna has been designed and optimized for.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  4. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Buzz or hash? All I hear when I do that is the buzz... To hear the hash I have to hold the portable radio close to my Modem/Router.

Dan KI4AX

5. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

A properly applied strip of duct tape can greatly reduce noise.
    Dinner might be a bit late tho.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K8AI likes this.
  6. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

And, you might have to sleep on the couch for a few nights....

KI4AX

7. N9ZDZ

N9ZDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

any noise on other bands don't bother me they are not bad but sense I talk 3.810 I can only hear people that are running amps and can get over my noise level.

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like moving the antenna is the solution. VWM suggested rigging a temporary dipole antenna further away and see how that works. I would add that making it at a right angle to the power lines would help a lot too.

KC8VWM likes this.
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is normal. :rolleyes:

10. G5TM

G5TM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe a seperate receive Loop might be an idea - you could null out noise possibly with a small rotator? Something like a Wellbrook or an MFJ receive only loop. Or you could make your own?

G0WBR likes this.