+9 noise level 256 days a year. any help?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N9ZDZ, Mar 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N9ZDZ

N9ZDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

AM and ssb are the same doesn't matter.

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm, that’s unusual sounding for powerline noise that I’m familiar with. It looks like the noise blanker was on, is that correct? If so that could be a factor, please turn it off and anything else that would modify the noise, like narrow filtering, etc.

WQ4G likes this.
  3. N9ZDZ

N9ZDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

no the blanker was not on

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a computer running a HDMI monitor using a cheap HDMI cable.

WQ4G likes this.
  5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's just the normal power line hash you pick up whenever an antenna is located too close to the power lines. I can emulate the same hash noise problem by placing a portable shortwave radio next to my electric meter or electrical panel.

Try hooking up a make shift temporary antenna in another location a distance away from these power lines.

N0TZU and N9ZDZ like this.
  6. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Does not sound like the Power Line RFI that I'm familiar with either. Usually Power Line RFI has a distinct BUZZ and/or sizzling element. Here is a link to a web page with several examples of RFI:

http://www.rfiservices.com/sound.htm

Dan KI4AX

7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never had an antenna close enough to power lines to hear that, it's always been the sizzle/buzz type noise.

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sizzling and buzzing occurs when the power lines are arcing.

We're not hearing arcing in the recording, we're hearing white noise "hash."

You can hold a portable radio in close proximity to a power line, or the electric meter and hear the same noise. ...Try it.

WB5YUZ and AA5CT like this.
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hold a AM radio close to a computer and you can hear it too.

A antenna should never be installed near power lines, So says the radio manual.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    KC8VWM likes this.
  10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Single band interference typically rules out noise generated by power line hardware. It also means that the sophisticated equipment designed for finding power line interference is useless.

N9ZDZ likes this.