ad: M2Ant-1

80m digital mystery

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by AG8NT, Sep 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AG8NT

AG8NT Ham Member QRZ Page

This issue has dogged me for months and I'm stumped.

I have routine troubles running 80m FT8. Unless I'm running QRP, one of two things usually happens...

1) I'll lose CAT control between my Mac Mini (Late 2014, running Big Sur) and my IC-7300
    2) The '7300 will trip into nonstop transmit mode.

This happens only on 80m. Other bands are fine, regardless of power level. But everything goes wonky on 80, even as low as 10 watts.

Hoped updating the IC-7300 firmware would take care of it, but no luck. And I know my settings on the '7300 are fine after the last time I posted about my digital issues here.

Since the trouble is limited to one band, could it be an RFI issue? Or a problem with my G5RV?

Thanks and 73,
    Dave AG8NT

2. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This used to happen to me too. CAT control, locking transmit, other USB devices suddenly freezing, sometimes one of the monitors' on-screen menus would appear, etc. I changed some things around, and now it rarely does. I put ferrite clamps on pretty much everything in the shack, and added a proper CMC at the end of the first 50' of RG8 outside the house, and brought the feed inside from there with 15' of RG-213. No more RF ghosts.

3. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Definitely sounds like RFI-induced issues. Something is resonate at 80m. Could be a cable, could be a connection. Ferites (or high-quality cables with them built-in) and/or moving things around should help solve this. In particular, make sure your antenna coax or feedline is nowhere near any of your computer cables.

4. AG8NT

AG8NT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that's what I sorta suspected, so I'll undertake some trial and error this month. I need to move around some things anyway after I take care of some soldering for an outdoor VHF-UHF antenna. (It's really high time I move on from a magmount on a cookie sheet, heh.)

Thanks and 73,
    Dave AG8NT