800 MHz "Trunk System" Receivers

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KG4LLQ, Feb 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG4LLQ

KG4LLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am interested in knowing if there are commercially available receivers capable of receiving 800 MHz "trunk systems" that are used by police, fire, EMS. I use to be able to monitor these services on my VHF/UHF hand-held radio. Now that's not possible. So, are there receivers now available for these modern 800 MHz systems.
    Thanks, 73 Ken - KG4LLQ

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KG4LLQ

KG4LLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom,
    Yes, I have heard of scanners. No, I wasn't aware that modern 800 MHz "trunked" systems could be received on commercial receivers, ie. Uniden otherwise I would not have asked the question.
    I asked this question for a friend. I, myself, am not interested in monitoring such transmissions as I am a dedicated restorer of vintage Heathkit equipment and a CW operator. The only stupid question is one that is not asked; however, you answer is appreciated.

K9ASE likes this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an old Uniden "Trunk Tracker" but it only worked on the older analog systems ( it did very well) and here they have mostly converted to digital that needs a newer model to decode. They are available but cost about twice what the old analog trunk tracker did.
    Today in this area, are only a few old systems , mostly in factories and not public safety.

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here the trunked 800 system is now scrambled. A local expert says no scanner can listen to those. So check it out.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Many trunked systems went digital, and in the bigger cities, they are now encrypted. They still make digital trunking scanners, but the price rivals some of the high-end dual-band radios. On the plus side, some are self-programming.

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I said it first, I want some Brownie Points.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

NH7RO likes this.
  8. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

That could be true (I don't know what system you are referring to) but a lot of so-called "local experts" are actually dumbasses that don't know the difference between the various digital voice modulation formats and real encyption.

WN6U likes this.
  9. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I would argue that most of the bigger cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, etc.) are still unencrypted. It's the midsized municipalities that are going encrypted "for officer safety" or whatever BS reason they can think of. The uniden BCDx86HP's can do both P25 phase I and II digital, but they have some problems with simulcast systems (you can improve decodes by doing antenna shennanigans, etc.). With upgrades, they can do Provoice and MotoTRBO (DMR). I believe the whistler can do some of those, as well (maybe NXDN , too?). Unication makes a receiver that supposedly shines with simulcast systems, but won't do phase II. Use the radioreference.com database to figure out exactly what type of system you are listening for, if it's encrypted, control frequencies, etc.

10. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Even our local counties here in VA use a trunked system. I got a BCD996XT, but there are new models available. It's best just to subscribe to radioreference for $15 where you can download your local trunk system into the scanner. You'll never program the thing on your own. But if your local system is secure, you won't hear anything. The local police/ems/landfill/ just about anything with county services is trunked on our local system. Apco 25 system.