80 meter PSK 31 freq?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W7KKK, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I am brand new to digital modes. So far just playing with PSK 31 and a little Olivia.
    I seem to have found the common PSK 31 freqs with the exception of 80 meters.
    As i understand it it's USB but 3.580 like DM 780 leads me to does not decode there.
    I tried going either side of 3.580 but I cannot get it to decode.
    Any suggestions for a new guy?

2. F1ABE

F1ABE Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello,

In Europe, 3583 LSB, 7038 LSB, below 10Mhz is LSB, Olivia is my favorite mode,
    everyday in near 14074 with 8/250 or 8/500 and 14107.5 with 32/1000.

3. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

3.580 on 80M. DM780 has the most common frequencies for most of the modes it has. PSK31, like most digital modes, is USB. I don't think I've worked anyone in 6000+ digital QSOs on LSB with digital modes. Maybe RTTY or QPSK, but so rarely, I don't recall. But if it's PSK and you don't decode something, it's not because you're in the wrong side-band. PSK will decode either USB or LSB.

4. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, thanks for the info.
    I went to 3.580 one evening and had what appeared to be PSK 31 traces from my limited experience on other bands.
    But when i put the cursor on them I got nothing in the way of a decode.
    I tired USB/ LSB and tried freqs around 3.580 too and it still would not print.
    I found out that on 40 meters that most of signals were not on 7.040 as DM 780 lead me too in the defaults and got them at 7.035 and thought that perhaps 80 was just slightly off from where I was looking too.
    I will keep trying.

5. W9DTC

W9DTC Ham Member QRZ Page

That is the correct location. I've found there is far psk less traffic on 80m than on 40 or 20.

Also, W1AW sends CW practise in this frequency range, so I have trouble sometimes because their strong signal descenses my receiver.

Good luck!

6. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Although it's customary to be in USB mode when operating PSK, isn't PSK symmetrical and therefore indifferent to USB vs LSB? (3580 USB is the same as 3583 LSB)

RTTY is customarily an LSB mode, but some programs auto-invert it to be consistent with the soundcard modes which are customarily USB.

W1AW CW bulletins go out on 3581.5, which is the middle of the watering hole...which in turn means you probably don't want to go hunting for CT for 80m PSK WAS during bulletin times. (W1AW is deafening if you're local.)

7. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

You're probably not doing anything wrong other than possibly listening at the wrong time. And of course, I also don't know what kind of antenna you are using. But that being said, I have plenty of PSK contacts on 80 meters at 3.580 MHz (USB). Most of my casual contacts are in the pre-dawn hours. After the grey line passes, the band becomes pretty much worthless.

As far as RTTY, I have worked all states (but not all of them are confirmed...yet!) on 80 meters so digital activity is definitely there once it gets dark. I will say that almost all of those are contacts made during one contest or another.

Good luck. Its out there. And as the doctor said to the midget, "You'll just have to be a little patient!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.