80 Meter Mobile Recommendations Sought

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by W8DVE, Jul 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N3UML

N3UML Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Dave a couple combinations I've used in the past I have been operating an icon 706 mk 2 yep the same radio for 22 years antenna combinations with it have been a Hustler 54 inch mast non folding cause the folding ones lose there connectivity after a while with a couple different configurations first a trip resonator adapter by Hustler with 3 resonates always worked well also I machined a piece of aluminum for four resonators on a slight angle around the outside plus one in the middle straight up this gives you 5 different bands with Hustler resonators take your time and tune and check all bands on a desired frequency then tune and recheck a few times cause lengthening or shortening one or more will change every band also you may add a at 180 icom tuner with either of these configurations will help. But my latest setup is the same 706 mk 2 with a diamond screwdriver and target tuner available at dx engineering and I'm here to tell you it's an unbeatable combination you can successfully tune 15 through 80 with phenominal results with 200 presets on the tuner tune the radio and the tuner automatically tunes the screwdriver anywhere you want just by keying the mic on am till it locks on very easy to learn and use I have worked Spain and Greece on 75/80 meters with 80 watts mobile near Pittsburgh PA now I'll tell you be ready to pony up almost 700 dollars but I'm running it daily making contacts on 20/40/75/80 into Europe us and Canada and occasionally s America and the bands aren't the best but. Boy I can't wait till things get better cause I can only imagine the sky's the limit when the bands are good also they give you a second antenna rod that's shorter for working 10 thought I believe 40 and maybe even 6 I'm not sure I'm thinking about adding a switch and another screwdriver for working the higher frequency's after I experiment on the other bands I'll post an update happy fixing Allan n3uml

W8DVE likes this.
  2. W8DVE

W8DVE Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for great detailed experience!
    Dave W8DVE

3. K9PHT

K9PHT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have good luck with my Little Tarheel II Mobile Antenna Rated at 200WATTs and tunes from 6 thru 80 meters... I have it mounted on the side rail of my truck bed as shown here in this photo. This antenna is remote tuned with switch inside my truck... 80/40 meters are my favorite bands...

I have two other VHF Antennas mounted on the two rear doors that will swing out when opened... My Ham Radio is the ICOM IC-706MKII... I also have a Kenwood TM-V708A Dual band Radio...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roy's images

Works great for me...

Roy Ken