80 meter antenna for DXCC - need ideas

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KB0EO, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB0EO

KB0EO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am going to start making my run for 5BDXCC - my count on 80 meters is currently zero. I do not currently have a tower and it is winter in MN, so I can't put anything into the frozen ground. Does anyone have any recommendations for 80 meters (i.e. driven element quad loop) that is inexpensive, easy to put up, and is effective for working DX?

Thanks for your help!

Dan
    KB0EO
    Northfield, MN

2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

The easiest thing for working DX and at a reasonable cost is going to be a vertical. If you put in elevated radials (at least 1 to 2 feet above the surface of the earth) then you will only need 4 radials.

A properly installed vertical is going to have a low angle of radiation which is what you need for working DX.

Glen, K9STH

3. KB0EO

80 meter vertical for DX

Is there a standard vertical commercially available that is reasonably priced, easy to put together, and works well for DX? I have heard people talking about a Butternut antenna - any feedback on that?

4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

Any trapped vertical is not going to work as well as a full sized vertical. However, various trapped verticals seem to work much better than others. Since I have the "Rolls Royce" of verticals (HyGain HyTower - full sized vertical) I am in no position to recommend one of the trapped versions.

Glen, K9STH

5. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with Glen. A quarter wave vertical on 80 will work wonders. I would also be nice to have some type of low-noise receiving antenna, methinks.

Check out the Low-Band DX'ing book, by ON4UN, of several years ago. That'll give you ideas.

Here's the linque: http://www.arrl.org/catalog/7040/

Merry Christmas! :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  6. KE7TBB

KE7TBB Ham Member QRZ Page

as i have posted on other threads...
    try a loop:) or even better a quad but on 80 its gonna be big:eek:
    the wire stuff is cheep and easy
    don't over complicate it
    and remember NO BALUNS!!!
    good luck on the dxcc
    PS: i have worked dx with the loop including Taiwan and Russia

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  7. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Think cheap. Think wire. Even very cold wire won't stand up 65' and play 1/4 wave vertical for you, but an inverted L is the next best thing. Make use of the highest support you can get (tree, roof peak?), then run the rest of the 65' over to some other high support. As Glen suggested, connect 4 elevated tuned radials to work it against, then go tally up the DX.

8. AE5JU

AE5JU Ham Member QRZ Page

Google "Super Loop". It is popular with a number of hams I know.

I'm using a dipole.

9. KD8WU

KD8WU Ham Member QRZ Page

A Half Square or a Bobtail Curtain are also excellent DX antennas, BUT you have to have the real estate. If you and put up an 80m dipole at about ~>70 feet then you can put up a Half Square for 80.

That other antenna does have a catchy name, though.

Bob

10. KB0EO

80 meter DX antenna

I am kind of leaning toward a 80 m monoband vertical - it would be kind of fun to build one from scratch vs. buying the standard stuff.

If anyone knows of a good design I can download, please send me the link.

Thanks!

Dan
    KB0EO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.