80 is weird

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KL7AJ, Dec 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Last night I heard a couple of Midwest S9++ hams on the bottom of 80 having a great rag chew. I figured the band was finally open. Listened for two hours....not another signal on the entire band. Nothing. How can two signals be S9 and no other signals whatsoever? I guess they burned a path through the ether on 3535 Khz.

Weird.

2. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear Weird,

Did you put out a "seek you" or anything like that? One of my first Elmers once told me that in all his years in amateur radio, he has never heard two receivers talk to each other. If you actually want to communicate with someone, sooner or later someone has to talk!

KI5WW, KC8VWM and KE8EAS like this.
  3. K4EJQ

K4EJQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was on the low end of 80 meters last night and found the same thing. I called CQs for almost an hour with 850 watts out to good aerial and the only stations I could raise were either DX or QRP that I could not read comfortably enough to chat with. Time to CRANK IT UP GUYS and use something besides a dummy load for an aerial!!! 73, Bunky, K4EJQ

KQ9J likes this.
  4. KE8EAS

KE8EAS Ham Member QRZ Page

The bands have been junk this week anyway. I'd chalk it up to bad conditions. Or, if you say you were hitting DX stations, did you have a vertical? If your antenna was NVIS and a fair distance off the ground you may hit more local stations.

But, depending on time of day, day of the week, band conditions, and your brand of peanut butter... who knows.

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My 80 meter net has not gone so well for the last few weeks. We've had individual nights when we could not work other stations in the region, but this is three weeks in a row. One of our locals is in Florida right now, and he checked into the net. He could hear others up here calling me, but we couldn't hear each other. I keep meaning to fire up the half kilowatt and see if that helps, but it won't help me hear the others. The band seems to 'go long' just about the time our net starts at 8 local time. At 7:30, I can work other Minnesota stations, not so at 8:00.

It should be a great time for DX on 80 and 160. 40 has been pretty interesting at night, too.

I think before next winter, I need to start encouraging my 80 meter folks to get something in the air for 160, too - for nights like these. We didn't have this much trouble during the last sunspot minimum, so yes, it's weird.

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Mabey its just a lack of operators.

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear and work stations all over the US on 80m, all the time from the "upper-left" corner. They're typically LOUD. The JAs aren't quite so loud.

8. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Eric, aren't you the person who wrote a book about nonreciprocal propagation?