8 pin weather proof connector for Rotator

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KN6KDT, Jun 10, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. KN6KDT

KN6KDT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I want to install a pig tail on my rotator in case I have to remove it for service. I don't want to hassle undoing connections upside down on the tower. I bought two different 8 pin connectors but both of them have pins too small for 18 and 16 ga wire to solder to.There are about million different types of these fittings available and I have looked at them on line untilI am cross eyed! Has anyone found one that has pins that will accept these size wires that is weatherproof?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

8-pin "trailer" mating pair connectors are readily available with heavy gauge wire already bonded to the pins; so you just buy one cable that has a (M) one end and (F) the other end, and use those for the detachable connection. Splice your own wires onto those pigtails using butt splices or soldered connections then protected by heatshrink tubing.

I've been using these for a really long time all over the country.
    trailer.PNG

N0TZU, NG1H, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  3. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

^ Bingo! I've been thinking of doing the same with some devices that I occasionally need to connect or disconnect---the only thing I would add is a dab of Noalox on each pin for easy pull-off and corrosion protection, especially way up there on the tower.

Jeff

4. KA5SDC

KA5SDC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been around RVs, boat trailers, etc my entire life but I have never seen an 8 pin connector like that. Learn something new every day! :D

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Our local RV shops have them. They're cheap and quite weatherproof.