ad: Schulman-1

7Q7RU Malawi DXpedition - November 2020

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by NT2X, Nov 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W5NNX

W5NNX Guest

I worked them on 30 meters CW finally and the op logged it as W5NX, so nothing showing up in log. 23 Nov 2137 and 24 Nov 0020 (had to make a dupe due to the DQRM and wanted to make sure). Neither is coming up on line. Sucks. Believe they shut down 25 Nov and leave. So chance to re-make a valid 30 meter QSO is near impossible now.

2. NT2X

NT2X Ham Member QRZ Page

A bit of an aftermath: The 7Q7RU DXpedition has ended officially, and most of the crew went home. But two guys, Al RZ3K and Vlad R9LR, were stopped before departure on suspicion of the virus and are now in isolation in Lilolgwe. They show no known symptoms.

If you hear 7Q7RU on the air, it is because they put up a vertical a fence and are using it to pass the time the best they can. Antenna performance is mediocre. Frequent electricity interruptions still haunt them.

fishrod.JPG
    The first vertical was a broken fishing pole

antenna2.JPG
    Then they erected something a bit more elaborate. Putting it against the wall isn't best, but they have no choice

They missed their flight and would have to get new tickets to go home. They have been virus-retested recently, and are awaiting results, to eliminate any false positives.

comfort.JPG
    Life in confinement

meals.JPG
    'Restaurant' meals

7q7ru-isolation.JPG
    7Q7RU station in "extended" operation. Truly a personal sacrifice

Showing your support for their efforts would be right and timely, in every sense. More than anything they crave to know they are not alone and the world cares. You can donate (links found at the bottom) of the dedicated 7Q7RU DXpedition page, here https://dxpedition.wixsite.com/7q7ru. Thanks!

73, Ed/NT2X

W0PV likes this.
  3. W5NNX

W5NNX Guest

Wow, what a nightmare for those guys. I wondered when I say the EU spots on them if it may be residual members lagging behind. Sorry to hear they stuck there for a while yet. GL and God Speed.