ad: UR5CDX-1

7db for 7 Bucks

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK6USY, Dec 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KK6USY

KK6USY Ham Member QRZ Page

I found this old QST article a couple years ago when looking for a cheap and easy 2m antenna for portable use on both FM and SSB. In the video I show the original way it was constructed and alternative option also.

K5VY, AD4ZU, KO4RUL and 15 others like this.
  2. G0SDG

G0SDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, Chuck! I see a cheap hand-held 2m/70cm version for working satellites in my future, especially since my lovely wife gave me a drill press for my birthday! 73, Larry G0SDG

K5DCZ, KB0NMQ, N3TGY and 1 other person like this.
  3. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Petty good. I might add a 1/4 wave coax balun at the feed point. Cheap but will improve the pattern.

K3FHP

KK6USY likes this.
  4. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice Video Chuck.

5. KG8ZQ

KG8ZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Several years ago I built the antenna from that very article. I built it exactly the way it is described. It works. But, if I built it again, I would use your technique on the driven element. It appears to be superior. The thing drove me nuts adjusting the two elements up and down to get a decent SWR. I finally got it, but swore I wouldn't do it that way again! So, based on my experience, I would highly recommend a builder follow your methods in building the antenna. I used it in the vertical position, and it was very directional, to my surprise. Nice job, and thanks for the memories!

Jerry KG8ZQ

K8XG likes this.
  6. KN6FWT

KN6FWT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I built a couple of these back when the article came out. Great performing light antenna, used to work the majority of the SoCal repeaters with my Alinco DJ560 ht. Need to build another it was a fun project.

KK6USY likes this.