75 meter intruder noticed

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2BLC, Jul 11, 2018 at 1:02 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W2BLC

W2BLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have noticed a signal centering about 4.010 mHz, about 50 kHz wide, that emits a buzzing noise on an apparent regular time frame (generally every two minute lasting about ten seconds). It does not appear to be heard outside of the 1 and 2 land areas. Personally, I have heard it in the mornings and evenings. Any thought as to what or who is transmitting it?
    Thanks, Bill W2BLC

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

50kHz wide? Do you have a spectrum picture (from a panadapter, etc.), by any chance?

Have you talked to other people who also hear it?

3. W2BLC

Yes, that is how I know it is being heard mostly in the northeast. I was just on a net with members from north and south. Those in the north are hearing it - those in 3 and 4 land are not hearing it. It is not local to me - if that is what you were asking.

4. KK5JY

Yes, I was making sure it wasn't just a battery charger in the neighbor's house.

50kHz is kind of broad for an HF communications system. I would expect an OTHR to transmit in short bursts, not one long chuck of time.

5. W4KJG

W4KJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I presently don't have an antenna after moving to a new QTH. So, I can't confirm if it can be seen here.

I say "seen" because I first found it when I got my first SDR. That was about 4-5 years ago. If it is the same signal I was seeing, it appeared to be a fast sweeping signal, made up of what looked like closely spaced/channelized very narrow swept pulse signals. It started just above 4.0 MHz. I don't remember how wide it was, but it certainly could have been 50 kHz wide.

I'm in the Winchester VA area. My former QTH, where I would see the signal, was about 15 miles west of where I now live. I regularly saw this signal when the band was open for long skip. I also assumed it was not local because of QSB.

Ken
    W4KJG

6. N1SZ

N1SZ Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the frequency of the “buzz”? As KK5JY points out, spectral plots/screen shot or an audio clip (YouTube) would be helpful.

7. W2BLC

It is a low frequency, perhaps around 30 cps. I cannot provide plots etc. It was the topic of discussion on several nets this morning and evening. I am surprised at how little interest there is in it.

8. KK5JY

I wonder if this station has drifted off-frequency, or might be generating some new spurs?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76

Being in eastern Europe might also help explain the limited reception in the US northeast.

W7UUU likes this.
  9. W2BLC

Not similar. It is solid for 10 seconds at a much lower audio frequency. Cycles every 2 minutes.