7300 vs 7610 for a Rag Chewer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KF5ETD, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Even "just" N1MM will display the waterfall.

2. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a TS590SG and to my ears the IC7300 sounds better especially when there is a lot of QRN. I had the FT950, nice radio but much prefer the 7300 hands down.

Also owned both the PRO and PROIII and still like the 7300 better.

Just my opinion, what someone likes others hate. . . . . . . .

3. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Save $ get this!
    https://flexradio.3dcartstores.com/...-Signature-Series-SDR-Transceiver-_p_940.html

flex-6300-hook-up.jpg

KA2RRK

4. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Then, the Icom IC-7300 is my choice for you. Best bang for the $ in ICOM'S SDR line up.

WOULDN'T YOU PLEASE TAKE ANOTHER LOOK @ the Flex Radio 6300....

KA2RRK

5. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, in many respects. My point, however, was in regards to the op wanting a rag chew radio.

The internal speaker on the 7300 is kind of meh. That can be improved with a decent external, but I still found the sound on the older FT950 to be superior for rag chew. Voices had life and depth to them. The 7300 is kind of flat-sounding, even with filtering and sound adjustments. Not at all bad... just above average, but not great.

6. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I understand what you’re saying.

Actually I was referring to using these radios all CW, because that’s about all I work, that and digital, So you will be more of an expert on the SSB than I would be.

Also, I always use headphones. The only time I actually listen to the speakers is on the AM broadcast band, and I have old RCA speakers that sound good.

7. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There is nothing wrong with loving whatever one wants to love, my question a 7300 and a 7610, they are hardly very different or do different things. It's not like having a 7300 and a KX3. Control freak? I have zilch control over anyone. As far as the remarks I receive sometimes, there are about four who seem to have nothing better to do then make snide remarks on my posts. I guess they think their pokes bother me, but wouldn't I have to respect them first? Some others are occasional so I give those credibility no matter how critical they are.

8. KF5ETD

KF5ETD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don’t do CW because I don’t know Morse Code. I might learn it some day but I wouldn’t hold your breath. I just like to talk with my vocal chords and I’m probably going to invest in a good external speaker, maybe one from Palstar. In summary I think most are suggesting that I save money and go with the 7300. Win! Win! I get a new radio that is SDR and I don’t have to empty my piggy bank! Thanks y’all. God bless.

9. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Did it raise you up to put others down? Always? (at all times; on all occasions without exception.)
    Wouldn't you be hijacking the thread by making your comment?
    A 7300 is an excellent choice, I owned one for 2 years but sold it when I got a Flex, who needs two rigs?

10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, for CW, the 7300 is not a great radio. My cheap Yaesu FT891 has an APF (Audio Peak Filter) and runs rings around my 7300 on CW.

On SSB, If only I could add the superior DNF of the 891 to the better overall sound of the 7300, and enjoy the best of both worlds. But then, I'd be spending money on a 7610.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.