7300 vs 7610 for a Rag Chewer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KF5ETD, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Me? I might get an IC7610, but I doubt I'd get rid of the 7300. It's such a nice, compact, pretty little thing that I can envisage a lot of uses for it even if I do get a 7610. But, as I said, I'm having a hard time justifying the 7610, especially when I could use the bucks for an IC9700. :)

KF5ETD likes this.
  2. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

The 7300 is all you need. Save your money and take a nice vacation. ;)

K3EY, KF5ETD and W4NNF like this.
  3. HB9FUH

HB9FUH Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to "play" with SDR, then a Flex would be better. The Icom radios might be SDR on the inside, but you interact with them like a traditional radio. AFAIK, there isn't any further software/computer control of the innards (as always, I'm happy to be corrected).

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Depends on what you mean by "innards." Certainly there is full CAT control and use of the RS-BA1 software. And there is likely more to come, in the case of the 7610, anyway. I would also doubt that the OP is much interested in playing SDR. :)

KF5ETD likes this.
  5. HB9FUH

HB9FUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, OP *did* use the phrase "play with SDR".

Does the RS-BA1 software do waterfall, and the sort of control that the Flex software does? I've only seen Flex in action (my old club had one in the shack), not actually played with it, and I've never seen the Icom software.

6. KF5ETD

KF5ETD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why can’t y’all just grow up and be responsible enough to stay on the subject listed by the OP! Take the hijacks and side conversations to YOUR thread! Doesn’t anyone have any self control or decency anymore???

7. KF5ETD

KF5ETD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I also asked for recommendations between the ICOM 7300 and 7610! I’ve already ruled out Flex and Anan as well as ALL the rest. Thank you very much!

W4NNF likes this.
  8. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Take a pill.

You’re Hyperventilating needlessly

You're not going to control anything only the Mods do that, relax

N6QIC likes this.
  9. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd suggest just staying with the 2000 if you're only interested in ragchewing. Digital is much easier with a more modern radio like the 7300, I have a 7410 and it's a breeze on digital. But I'm not really into it, fone is why I got into radio.
    And don't write off contests, even if you aren't into them seriously they often make it able to make dx contacts several days earlier as they are fine tuning their stations. And they do help make one a better op since practice makes perfect. I like contests yet I rarely spend more than several hours in the chair for one. It teaches me how my station is performing at the time.
    And congrats on being a general, without us rowing the extra's yacht on weekends they wouldn't be able to feast on ribeyes and lobstah at sea.

WZ7U and K3EY like this.
  10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I own a 7300. Yes, it's a great radio, and all of that. But the one thing that bugs me is how the RF Gain is borderline useless. It doesn't remove hiss around the signal, like the RF Gain does on every other radio I've owned. It just kind of dithers away the quality of the sound while removing just some of the hiss. I can eventually get it to a decent place, but it takes a lot of Twin PBT and RX filtering to get there. Too much work. Older style radios do far better, if you know how to utilize RF Gain.

Honestly, if you want a good rag chew radio, look at something larger. I had a Yaesu FT950 which sounded so much better on rag-chew signals. I had an older Icom 756 Pro I which also sounded pretty good. I'm not saying either of those two -- just something larger, and known for audio quality. The Yaesu FTDX3000 has come down a lot in price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.