ad: w5yi

7300 vs 7610 for a Rag Chewer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KF5ETD, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. KF5ETD

KF5ETD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fairly new “General” class operator here. Currently running Kenwood TS-2000 with Palstar LA-1K amp and Palstar HF-AUTO tuner over a 80-6 meter Carolina Wyndom OCF dipole. Looking to play with SDR and have narrowed down to ICOM and specifically between the 7300 and 7610. $1000 vs $3000 as far as price. Now I am STRICTLY a Rag Chewer. I have absolutely no desire for contesting of any kind. Might and I stress might test drive some digital but I wouldn’t hold my breath! For those of y’all with knowledge on the two, which would y’all recommend for me given my particular interests. Thank you and God bless y’all.

2. WB8SCT

WB8SCT QRZ Lifetime Member #205 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I own both the 7300 and a 7610. They are both great radios. If you are just rag chewing I would not spend the extra money on the 7300. I have also owned several Flex radios, and if you truly want to dig into SDR, look at the Flex 6300 or 6500 or one of the newer models 6400 or 6600. 73, Jack WB8SCT

WA8FOZ, N3AWS, K2XT and 1 other person like this.
  3. KF5ETD

Did you mean that you wouldn’t recommend spending the extra money for the 7610? You said you wouldn’t spend the extra on the 7300 but I think you meant the 7610?

4. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean 7610, right?

I agree. The 7300 is really neat and a lot of radio for the $$, as are the Flex's.

If the budget allows for a 7610-level approach for rag chewing, I'd spend the first kilo-buck on the radio (like a 7300) and the other 2 or 3 kilo-bucks on my antennas or a nice trip somewhere. :)

WZ7U and KF5ETD like this.
  5. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

The 'Zed has ZERO TOLERANCE FOR TYPOS!!!

:)

(wish this wasn't so true! ;) )

KA9JLM, N2SUB and KF5ETD like this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Get the 7300. The main advantage of the 7610 for you would be the larger display and the ability to easily connect the 7610 to an external monitor. OTOH, if you need a larger display, you can connect the 7300 to a computer running Ham Radio Deluxe or N2MM. I've wanted the 7610...but I just can't justify spending the money given my needs, which are more like yours than those of a hard-core contester, etc.

KF5ETD likes this.
  7. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you only see rag chewing in your future -- and there's nothing wrong with that -- the IC-7300 will be more than adequate for your needs. I have a 7300 and it's a great rig, particularly for the price. But the 7300 lacks two features I've had on previous Icom rigs -- Dual Watch and AFP. Both are good tools for DXing. And the APF (audio peak filter) really brings those weak CW DX signals on 160 and 80 up out of the noise and makes them copyable. So I see a 7610 in my future.

NL7W, KF5ETD and N3AWS like this.
  8. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why?

M0DPX likes this.
  9. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cuz he wants to.

Why do you teach when you don’t have to?

WZ7U, NL7W and AB8MA like this.
  10. KF5ETD

Let’s keep this thread about MY question please! If you wanna discuss something different then please start your own discussion. Thank you.

W4POT, AG5DB, WC5P and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.