ad: Alphaant-1

7300 Used Radio Killing Prices

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM4MLF, Sep 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure if that's what you meant, but in general, I have no expectation that any consumer electronics, used regularly, will last more than 5 years. Technological changes and 'planned obsolescence' have not been taken into account.

My main criteria for 'value for money' in consumer electronics is 1 year of regular service for each $50 in price.

The other criteria I use is how much to pay for an item if there is a wide selection of said item with different prices. Number and type of features not factored in. Am I better off paying $10k for a radio, and being tied up to it, due to financial constraints, for 10 years? Or am I better off buying a $1k radio, and being free to upgrade more frequently?

I have not tried this with radios, but I did and still do with computers. Those that need horse power now, have no choice, but for normal home use, staying in the low end and upgrading more frequently has given me better 'returns'.

I did not take environmental concerns into account. That's another kettle of fish.

K6LPM and K5EMG like this.
  2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, we live in a very wasteful society today. I do what I can.

I've been staying away from the latest radios. My IC-751 lasted about 15 years before things started to act funny. I gave it away to a friend of mine. My main radio now is an IC-7410. (~$2K) Been cooking it for a couple years now. It's working well. I like it. I do one of two things: If I don't want it any more, and it still works like new, I go to a hamfest tailgate or table and practically give it away, but I walk away with enough to pay for the gas to get there and back, lunch and a few bucks extra. Some people can't believe how low I go. They usually buy it and then put it on their table with a higher price. At the end of the hamfest, I see them loading it up and taking it home with them. The other thing I do is if something snaps/crackles/pops/fizzles, I recycle it. My city has an excellent recycling program. Twice a year, bring your tires, batteries, TVs, radios, microwave ovens, used oil, and just about everything else except glass. Weekly, they pick up paper, tin and aluminum.

I recycled an IC-718 a couple of years ago. The transmitter quit putting out any power at all after about a year. I couldn't give it away. No one wanted it. (replaced it with my IC-7410) I stripped it down to the circuit cards and the bare aluminum chassis/heat sink. Brought it to the city for recycle. I would have brought it to a hamfest and put "FREE" on it, but I would have had to pay for gas and lunch. (That's *my* cost for staying in business.)

3. W5UAA

Edit: ...Weekly, they pick up paper, tin and aluminum. AND PLASTIC.

4. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe you could "freecycle" that old gear here on QRZ for the cost of postage and handling?
    I know that there must be many other hoarder hams than myself that jump at such types of offers, and enjoy the challenges of getting gear back up and running.

I also have practically given things away at hamfests (in the spirit of radio) and have seen them appear for sale later in the day.
    For some reason I am not so fond of such transactions, but it is what it is.....

AJ4GQ likes this.
  5. W5UAA

I'm not fond of that either. I even told a guy buying my used IC-745 that it had tuner issues. An hour later, I heard him say to another guy, "works fine!" I couldn't help but tell the guy looking at it, "well it had issues when I sold it to him an hour ago." That's why I just remove it from the "used market" now by recycling it. It saves people heart aches, head aches, and frustration. For those of you reading this and have experienced this, you're welcome.

N2IDD likes this.
  6. K8PD

K8PD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that adjusted for inflation some of the classic tube radios cost a lot in their day but I seriously doubt there will be too many Icom 7300's still in use 52 years from now. They just aren't built for longevity and at best there will be a few that exist as museum pieces if they're around at all in 2072.

7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And technology is marching at a much faster pace. What’s hot today will be obsolete in ten years,

K6LPM likes this.
  8. N2IDD

N2IDD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ten years? More like 12 - 24 months. It's just that the top three gear mfg, know how to manipulate this market segment. The Hype machine in Amateur Radio sometimes out spins the Consumer Electronics and Systems markets. More competition in the the HF space, means more options at affordable prices.

WD0BCT likes this.
  9. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W5UAA : " I go to a hamfest tailgate or table and practically give it away," I commend you for that post - very responsible. So many hams hold on to gear
    that they can not understand are only worthy of the trash can and try to see it for high prices - you see them every hamfest with the same garbage. Crazy
    excuses like " but its a Collins " ( Yeah current technology 50 years ago ) or " This was the top of the line when I got it " , "It cost me $2500 " and all the rest.

At our club in a 55+ community we get a lot of donations of gear after a ham passes away - the widow or family will sell off anything good and then bring
    us a box of junk not worth more than $20 if you can sell any of it.

10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I read an interesting article discussing how Goodwill, Craiglist and other secondhand venues are being inundated with stuff that sold at one time but there is just too much being dropped off today. Much goes straight to the dump. The article suggested it is due to the sheer number of people downsizing. The boomers who were big on collecting stuff are now getting rid of stuff that essentially very few people want. It's probably a good time for a serious collector to find some hard to find collectables at very low prices or even free.

Check out Craigslist for ham gear. Don't expect the seller to know much about the gear. Quite often they are just liquidating an estate and just want the stuff gone. All they will know is that Uncle Bud talked to the hold world with it!

N2IDD likes this.