ad: SDRKits-1

7300 Used Radio Killing Prices

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports' started by KM4MLF, Sep 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s pretty much true of all radios in the 7300’s price class. The 7300 is feature-rich at a decent price, which makes it attractive to a lot of new hams and casual HF ops. I’d be tempted to buy one as a spare 100w rig if I had a spare grand. But there’s a reason it costs around 1/6 the price of a 7700 or a well-optioned K3. Most hams will never notice the difference unless they use it in a strong-signal contest or DX pileup environment with a high gain antenna.

K0UO and N0TZU like this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some radios have the original firmware in ROM. So a hardware reset can recover to factory new.

Some radios write over the original firmware so recovery is harder, and JTAG is required for recovery.

3. KC1HLU

KC1HLU Ham Member QRZ Page

All my electronics are run off UPS. Otherwise in a power failure while updating any computer, transceiver, we are at risk of bricking the device.

KA9JLM likes this.
  4. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, very true.

KK4NSF likes this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

all your radioz is belong to us!

[​IMG]

KN4ULD, KJ6NQW and WW2PT like this.
  6. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I know this is a Moth old, but this was not mentioned here goes....

Yaesu uses a separate boot-loader micro-controller, its activated even when the radio can't boot up on bad firmware. So you simply copy over good firmware over the bad or wrong one you put in and Viola, radio works again no factory needed. I know this because owning a FT-991 and a FT-991A, I once put in the "A" version in the non "A" radio. Radio would not come on. Simply follow the remove power cord, do this while holding that and putting power cord back in the radio would read in the correct firmware from the PC waiting for it.

People complain about the switches on some of the Yaesu radios to set firmware updates, but that is what is switching the bootloader in place to keep you from Bricking the radio.

If a Radio needs a JTAG update to un-brick it, if the factory would give you the code to put in, folks that know how JTAG updates work could do it. JTAG is very common in the micro-controller hobby market.

2 cents

KC1HLU likes this.