7300 Used Radio Killing Prices

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports' started by KM4MLF, Sep 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The reason you have not heard of any, Is because the radios are back at the factory for repair.

Firmware updates do fail. Losing/Killing power in the middle of one may be the main reason.

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Occasionally, perhaps. But plenty of hams on the Zed have the rig. Plenty here locally do. And plenty of those I know (including me) do. I believe I'd have heard of a rash of firmware-update-killed radios. Do you have any specific examples, OM?

3. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't come across any 7300 firmware messages on the Facebook forum... haven't been looking at the forum much, though. Usually popular threads just come up in my feed.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was talking about newer radios. Not just the 7300.

Any Radio / Computer with firmware applies.

I did a Google search for bricked radio, Just for grins. :D And got thousands of results.

Look for yourself. ;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  5. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m guessing the number of 7300’s that we see on the used market is due to the fact that once the initial thrill over the eye candy wears off, owners realize it isn’t that special.

6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

You know..... I don't see the plumeting of used radio prices that this thread seems to be about. Maybe it is true with older hybrid or tube type radios, but I'm not so sure when talking about some of the all-transistor rigs like the Kenwood TS440 and similar radios by other makers. I bought my TS-440 a few years before the 7300 came out, and they are selling for the same price now as they did then or even a little higher.

My guess is that the real killer of tube type and hybrid transcievers is due to the fact that few of them can be CAT controlled..... while the later rigs like the Icoms and Kenwoods from the late 80's forward can be. Folks (including me) like computer control and digital mode, and thus still find a place for many of the "older but digital" rigs, keeping their prices relatively stable. The old tube /hybrid rigs? Not so much.

So it's not the 7300 that is "killing prices" it's the computer / radio connectivity. If it ain't got it, then it's relatively cheap. If it does have it, then it's more price stable.

7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

IC-7300 introduced at $1500 and currently $950 after rebate. Used models go for $800 or less. That's pretty stiff depreciation.

8. KE0EYJ

There's one for sale for $700 on Facebook, and it's low enough that it seems to have drawn the ire of hams on there. hahaha

9. KE0EYJ

It is a great radio, but it has some limitations baked into it which I think are going to really become noticeable as more noise from electronics are encountered. I realize it's a different kind of technology, but it really needs some sort of roofing filter at the front end, especially on low bands. It's also sort of "idiot-proofed" to sound good and more clean, even when the op doesn't know what they are doing with settings.

Another problem with that is you can be much louder on other rigs, when you need to, because the 7300's output signal peaks are so severely controlled. I'm not an engineer, so I lack the ability to explain how they do this, but it is pretty evident, to me.

WW2PT likes this.
  10. KE0EYJ

I don't doubt it, but I will say the 7300's firmware update process is as easy as I've seen on a radio. I'm still scared to do it with the Yaesu radios that I have owned.