7300 Used Radio Killing Prices

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports' started by KM4MLF, Sep 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM4MLF

KM4MLF Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently bought a used IC-7300 at the Virginia Beach Hamfest for $700. Crazy thing is all the used 20+ year old HF radios were advertised for more..... Maybe a I got a really good deal, but hopefully Hams will realise their old radios are not worth as much as they think. Consequently, my IC-7200 will be going to a new Ham for $400. Hopefully this will be a trend. -KM4MLF

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Buyers - not sellers - determine prices of every commodity known to man. Radios are no different.

Supply and demand - it's very simple.

If the supply of IC-7200's skyrockets with people in droves selling them, and not that many people want to buy one, you might well see a $400 price tag.

Pork bellies, coffee beans, gold, brake calipers, concentrated orange juice, it's all the same.

Dave
    W7UUU

W8IXI, K7JOE, KD9NQC and 2 others like this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Many old radios still work. That is why they retain a good price.

New radio longevity is yet to be seen.

Check back in 20 years. My 50+ year old Collins radio still works.

N4FZ, KK4NSF and W1BR like this.
  4. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

New doesn't always mean better. My old Ten Tec Omni VI Plus rigs are still very competitive. And, I can service them to component level with no problems.

KK4NSF likes this.
  5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

The other side of that concept is,......

wait for it,......................

The seller was willing to sell it for that price, think about that.

N4FZ, WD4IGX and KK4NSF like this.
  6. KA9JLM

True.

And only the seller knows all of the problems that it has.

K9ASE likes this.
  7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I could not agree more. While a lot of the newer radios have a lot more bells and whistles than the older rigs, some of them seem to fall down in basic quality of build, and in audio quality. I use a radio that is 33 years old, works perfectly and is still viable in today's digital landscape. I wonder how many of the newer radios will still be working / viable in 2049?

8. KA9JLM

Not many. They will be bricked by firmware updates. Many already are.

KK4NSF likes this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Except that isn't happening. You can make up stories like this, but that doesn't make them true. sigh.

W9WQA, NE1U and AG5DB like this.
  10. KA9JLM

Check how many had to be sent back to the factory for a JTAG repair, Then you can tell if it is true.

Yes. It does happen. To true to make up.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019