7300 nit pic

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W9WQA, Jul 24, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG5LTL

KG5LTL Ham Member QRZ Page

Adding tension to the tuning knob made the feel better for me.

2. W6GRD

W6GRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed, the "Friction Adjuster" made things better for me as well. Keep in mind it takes some pressure to move it to the next notch and for a while I didn't increase it as much it allows. Once I actually looked underneath the knob I saw I could go further to the left, increasing the friction level.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well, you didn't try "everything in the book" then or it would be working. I adjusted mine just fine, using the full manual as was suggested in Post #2

(I can't read 90% of what you typed - and I'm typing this with one finger as well, just to prove the point :) )

Dave
    W7UUU

WG7X likes this.
  4. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My nit to pick on the 7300 is that it does not have a true IF output or 2nd RX output that I can use to attach a 2nd receiver, like the Yaesu FTDX-3000 and others have. I like to operate digital modes, like JT-65 and JT-9 while scanning SSB band segments for interesting action to jump into. The IC-7300 12 KHz "IF Output" through the USP port is useless for this. Looking forward to the IC-7610 and hoping it either has dual watch or a decent 2nd RX output, or a real IF output. I'd think a simple 2nd only output to share the antenna with a second receiver would be easy to incorporate - just a buffer amp and relay, no heroics to generate a real wideband analog IF from the digital data stream.

Brian - K6BRN

5. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I broke down and bought a 7300. Current rig was 8 yrs. old and costed over 3k. Except for lacking a couple luxuries of the old rig, the Icom equals or beats it for me. No issue with tuning here. So I say the Icom cannot be faulted for lacking some feature a rig costing a great deal more has when it may whip it on performance.

6. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A nit pick for a nit pick: tit-for-tat as they used to say.

The internet and internet forums are written media. If you expect to be taken seriously, you have to write in a manner that can be understood.

Period.

Excuses about poor typing are OK when using a keyboard for on-air activities like RTTY, PSK, or even CW. But, on a website where you have time and ability to use the built-in spell check facility offered by most browsers, and the site software, there is no excuse for poorly written messages. This is not life or death here. Take your time to write a message that can be readily understood and people will be more willing to help.

Hams in general are already more than willing to assist, as evidenced by the help already offered. I am just saying that it would be much better if we did not have to read and then try to interpret your message.

Yeah, I know, get lost, right?

OK.

KS4W, K7MH and N2EY like this.
  7. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a 7300 in the ARRL DX CW contest with the filter set to 50 Hz. Set the tuning to 1/4 as shown on Page 3-5. I worked search and pounce (Listening for stations calling CQ) by tuning up and down the band using the filter set to 50 hz with no problem. Made a contact about every two minutes, tuning was not an issue. It's not an easy radio to learn how to operate. You might want to spend some time with the manual.

8. KC7I

KC7I Ham Member QRZ Page

The 1/4 tuning is a great idea. Unfortunately it's only available on some modes, not SSB. It's definitely needed on all modes.

9. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would you need that fine of tuning for SSB when the SSB filter bandwidith is much wider than the CW filters min. at 50hz.

10. KC7I

KC7I Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not fine tuning, it's to slow down the tuning, make it less "touchy".