7300 in my semi, antenna thoughts?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD9NTD, May 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KD9NTD

KD9NTD Ham Member QRZ Page

After the 2 month cornhole virus hiatus, I got called back to work tomorrow, I drive a semi from Southern Illinois to Michigan and back. I thought about putting my Icom 7300 in my rig to take away some of the boredom. I see they make a mobile bracket for the 7300 so that’s half the battle.

I saw this MFJ antenna https://www.amazon.com/MFJ-Enterprises-Original-MFJ-1640T-Antenna/dp/B01E9C933O#customerReviews

It’s cheap on gigaparts. Has anyone used one of these, or have an alternate solution for an antenna that may work for me?

as a note, I have a stainless steel 102 inch whip on my truck now for the chicken band. The newer cascadias have a crap built in antenna, and I had to use the whip for lower swr. I used a bird mount perch off the mirror to mount it, and have it leaning forward but it stands up going down the road. it misses the overpasses. I could put the 40 meter antenna on the other mirror/side

2. KC0LDH

KC0LDH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"It’s cheap on gigaparts. " - you nailed it.

I have tried a variety of these whips, with varied results. In my case it was in the roof of a vw wagon, so although not ideal, quite a bit of area to work with.

Are you specifically interested in 1 band?, if not consider 20m or even higher. The less loading, the better.

3. KD9NTD

Well, I had considered other bands. I assumed since my hustler 5btv actually blows on 80 meter, I figured since it’s really a mobile whip it would fare no better on my truck.

I do talk on 20 Meter on occasion, but I figured 40 would keep me pre occupied with all its nets and etc. I’m home every other day

4. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

in a big van i used an ah4 tuner and ? 29 feet of wire sig zaged out back,up over to front on 3 , 4 ft mag rods. tuned the bands. drove in a circle once, a guy in canada said he never heard a mobile with less fading...you can run a lot more wire!!

KD9NTD likes this.
  5. KC0LDH

KC0LDH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have a specific band, that antenna will be narrow banded. It can work, cheap enouph to try. Especially if you have a CB already mounted.

You have 2 mirrors to work with? How much height? Maybe 2 bands, and a switch?

Tell us more about the rig, and trailer. The wire idea is intriguing if you have a trailer that will play nice. I can imagine a flatbed, or enclosed?

There are a number of ideas I would try. A tuner would open up some possiblitys.
    Even a simple low impedence matching network may help.

Dont be discouraged, give it a try.

6. KD9NTD

Yes, I actually ran across a package on Gigaparts called Shark hamsticks. 5 of them come bundled together for $105, but thats 5 different bands to choose from, and they are labeled. Not shabby. They look just like fiberglass CB antennas, and I believe the mounting is the same. It would be easy to just remove one and try the other if/when I get tired of a certain band. They may even come in handy here around the house. I believe I am going to spring for them.

I was also looking at the MFJ screwdriver. It was a bit appealing at $200,,,, but there is not quite enough info on it out there to make me make a decision. I am not sure how it adjusts, if it can be done from the radio or ? . And how tall is it mobile mounted???? Too many questions to risk it. The hamsticks seem more appealing.

My truck is a 2011 Freightliner Cascadia, and I pull a 53 foot trailer. they make what they call a "perch" mount, a bracket that screws into the mirror mounting brackets on the door. It basically gives you the ability to attach a normal mirror mount cb type antenna. It is what you HAVE to use if you want to install any CB antenna, other than the stock one that is built into the overhead of the cab and is about worthless. I have a 102 inch whip on one now,,,,,, pretty dang long but it works because A: its mounting location is lower, about in the middle of the door, and B: I have it leaned way forward, but when going down the interstate at 70 MPH it stands up straight, but is short still because of the "bow" in it.

I should easily be able to mount a hamstick on one of these perch mounts. I think I am going to order them today and try.

7. WR1O

WR1O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hook an AH4 up to the 102 inch whip, easy as that.

8. KD9NTD

AH4 Icom antenna tuner?

So if I hook that up to my 102 inch whip, it will be tricking my transceiver into working on 20, 40 and 80, but what about the electrical length of the steel whip, is that going to work as well as a the ham stick on the chosen band? Because I am not sure how much wire is wrapped in the ham stick verses the whip, I just know that tricking a radio into using a non resonant antenna doesnt mean it will be a good performer. There may be more "wire" in the ham stick making it a better performer on the band

9. WR1O

WR1O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It will work much better than a Hamstick, read up a little on how it needs to be mounted, it needs to be at or very close to the base of the whip. If you can get it mounted correctly you will be very impressed. Do a little research.

10. KD9NTD

Roger. You peaked my curiosity, and I hooked my Maco V-58 that is 60 feet up tuned for the 11 meter band, to my MFJ antenna tuner to see if I could get a match on other HF bands and see how it would perform.

Instead of the Icom tuner, would I be able to use an LDG or a MFJ auto tuner in my mobile instead? There is a tremendous price difference