ad: M2Ant-1

#73 MFJ-267 Dry Dummy Load and Watt Meter - What's in the box?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Jul 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a MFJ 986 TUNER and sent it back to the factory for service 6 times and every time they claimed they touched up the solder joints, it still didn't work. they replaced the roller inductor and replaced with a air wound inductor. The inductor was a plastic cord that failed when I fed 800 watts into it. it was supposedly suppose to be a 3 kw tuner and couldn't handle 800 watts on 80 meter cw. After they had replaced the inductor and touched up the joints as they claimed and they said it worked perfectly down there and when i got it back the 6th time, I put 100 watts into it and it worked less than 1 second and failed and then i sent it back again and they claimed the inductor failed again ( third inductor installed ) and before they would ship it back, they claimed i owned them $142.90 and they didn't fix it. It sat down there for about 8 years until one day last year, last winter, I called them and talked with this nice lady and told her my story about the tuner and said she would look into my case and see she could straighten things out. She said their tech " butch " was not doing his job properly and was let go a few years ago. After a few hours she called me back and founf the file of my mfj 986 tuner and all the repairs that was done to it and the purchase order was marked defective and the tuner was trashed. She said there was a note stating that a replacement tuner was supposed to be shipped and then she said it was marked " customer refusal " I told her that they offered to send me a new one and i had said i would accept a new one which they never sent me one. so she said she was sorry for the mix up and she'd have to have a sales slip from HRO and after 10 or more years doubt there would be any record of that and there was nothing more she could do. She told me to never send anything back to the factory, because they do not have the " techs " really know how to repair anything more than a wet paper bag.

2. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the video, I honestly thought the Rabbit was getting a bullet!! And turned my head away lol, I’m English you see. Hahaha.

Thanks again love your vids.

Note to others: You don’t have to watch them but nice that you put the views up.

KM9G likes this.
  3. XV9G

XV9G Guest

Agree, the switch should be in the front not the back of the unit...this video was poor. Time wasted.:(

KC2TUX, N1DQQ and K8JHR like this.
  4. KI4UYA

KI4UYA Ham Member QRZ Page

There's 5 minutes of my life I won't get back.

KC2TUX, VE3GCX, N1DQQ and 1 other person like this.
  5. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Story, thanks for sharing!

KA1BSZ likes this.
  6. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

That rabbit will be stew soon! Waiting on my amp to help with the cooking.

7. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people are not as smart as your self . Some people can build these with spare parts , as your self.
    Other people can rely on video's like this one to make informed decisions about purchase's .

I thought it was informative , IMHO.....

KI5HNX, W4FBI and 2E0TWD like this.
  8. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh no, poor Bunny!!

9. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree 100%. I use several of these daily and it's very easy to inadvertently switch from transmit to dummy load when moving it around. That and the fact that you have to have the wall wart connected to get the meter to work.

10. NJ1S

NJ1S Ham Member QRZ Page

i own the same unit. the needle bounces around everywhere. however it does work!

11. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, do you have one? Please post pictures of such manufacturing defects.

12. N0BJK

N0BJK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The dummy load/antenna switch in the back is a show stopper.

KM9G likes this.
  13. VE3GCX

VE3GCX Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe Raffles will save him.

14. K1OFO

K1OFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Check for MFJ-267 mods. You will like it even more. Great addition for a modest operator.

KM9G likes this.
  15. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I honestly thought so too... but its the only one in this price range... I would love a simple digital or dual meter unit with front controls.