ad: M2Ant-1

706MKIIG vs. FT897D?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by ae5eh, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. ae5eh

ae5eh Guest

Sorry if this has been asked before. Did a search and didn't find. I'm hoping there are some folks out there that will give opinions that have owned and operated both for any length of time. Thanks in advance for any and all opinions. [​IMG]

2. MM0PFR

MM0PFR Ham Member QRZ Page

i had a new 706 mk2g it went bang under warranty, icom fixed no probs but made me wonder so i sold it at 18month old , i now have an 857, 857d with atas and 897d no probs with any hope this helps

3. ae5eh

ae5eh Guest

Thanks so much for the reply! However, like the idiot I can sometimes be, I did a more careful search the other day and did find that I did post something similar to this sometime ago. Long hours and fatigue have made me a bit absent minded lately, so I'll have to be more careful next time I post.

Early on I got caught up in the Icom mystique without giving some of the Yaesu gear a fair chance.

I'm sure Icom makes great gear along with others, but have since bought a 7800R along with the 897D I have. I must say based on what I now know that Yaesu gear for the most most part is a great value. I'm extremely please with both at the present.

Sorry to everyone for being so stupid and not checking my previous posts better than I did before posting this thread.

Thanks again! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. KD6FXR

KD6FXR Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] i really like my ft897d does everyyhing i want, helps to have a computer to program it. but can be done without.
    kd6fxr Sam

5. KO4JQ

KO4JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had both rigs. I sold the Mk II to a new young ham who still loves it..works great...much easier to program for a new guy...I equally love the ft897d and it is my emergency back-up running on solar powered battery..It works great with good signal reports accross the bands..good on the vhf/uhf...I agree it is harder to program and would like to have knowledge of any good computer programs to accomplish this..I am tired of carrying manual everywhere!!!I just can't remember all the settings from day to day...too old I guess. electronically and mechanically it is a superior rig..Mike [​IMG]

6. Rescue1

Rescue1 QRZ Member

Thanks for this post,I was comparing the same two radios.I just passed the test last night,no call sign yet,can't wait.In the meantime I am looking for gear.Just to expand on the original question,how do these two radios compare as far as feaures go? Thanks... [​IMG]

7. KD5TAT

KD5TAT Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] I have used both of the radios in mention and I would recomend the Icom 706 MK2G.

8. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Mk IIg mobile with an N9JMX screwdriver. In over 6 years now, not a glitch. I had AES add the 1.9Kc filter.

9. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently faced the same decision. I picked the Yaesu because of the Collins filter options and for the FT meter. I've been very happy with the radio.

10. AE5BN

AE5BN Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a Yaesu FT-857.  I got mine for a hair over $600 New and Delivered.  I do know lots of folks that swear by the Icom.

Edited to say FT-857. I guess I didn't read the topic close enough. Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.