ad: w5yi

706mk2g weird swr power problem

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KG7HVR, Oct 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

The mrf255 in the 706 seem alot better.
    I don't bother using the cat control on the original 706 it's too glitchy but I feel like if I use the other radio it will get too hot doing a ft8 even at 45 Watts. And burn up again.
    I should wire up a cable for the Ft 901 and do ft8 on that thing haha. I'm using just a simple sound card directly to radio interface so I just have to adjust my levels in the laptop
    20181210_103224.jpg 20181210_103250.jpg

2. KG7HVR

I have sold on qrz before I had an 857d I didn't like but I don't feel like dealing with PayPal
    I also want to use it a while to make sure it's not going to leave somebody else stranded. unlike a lot of people that want to just sell things when they're not working right, I don't like doing that because I didn't like how it felt when I bought a bad radio and I don't want to do that to somebody else

WZ7U likes this.
  3. KI4WCQ

KI4WCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The internal fan blows outward through the head sink fins. It's an exhaust.

4. KG7HVR

I used it on ssb for a little over a hour. The extra fan makes a big difference. And I also have it set to exhaust

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you running with the panel lamps on, and if so, at which level?

6. KG7HVR

I turned it down to low but it was on high before. They do seem to be able to develop quite a bit of heat I guess I don't have a need to have it on full it does look nicer but even on my other 706 I have it turned down all the way to low
    I ran the radio for another 30 minutes or so last night and it seems to be doing fine

WZ7U and K3RLD like this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Till I finish the fan mod I leave the lights off, hence my comment. Glad to hear you are having good luck in that configuration.