706mk2g weird swr power problem

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KG7HVR, Oct 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Ask yourself. Do you want to blow hot air into the radio or pull it out of the radio???

2. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Some Computers do it that way. I just wanted to go in the direction that the actual fan is going so they're not fighting each other during transmit. the air outside of the radio is cooler than the air inside the radio. so any kind of air flow drops the temperature. However I've got it to where it blows out instead of in.

3. KG7HVR

Spent about a hour plus rag chewing on 3.913
    Fan on back never really got too warm. Radio hasnt let the magic smoke out. 100 watts peak on ssb or so. People say it sounds good and clean . I went from a ts830 to this and they couldnt hear a big difference. But my ft101e was said to have sounded alot better and a few db more on my signal. Barefoot. No amp.
    So now i gues i decide to keep or sell.
    My only real need for this radio is our local 2m ssb net Prescott AZ every wed . I get about 55w out. As apposed to 25w on my kenwood ts711a or 10w on my 706 first gen.

4. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

You can't sell now!

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You should keep it. It is your Baby now. :)

US7IGN and K3RLD like this.
  6. KG7HVR

Im afraid to use it really.
    When I buy a used radios I usually buy them quite cheap like $200 or less and deal with all the problems.
    but when you spend 450 plus on radio that doesn't work and then pay somebody else to fix it for another $150 and ship it back and forth you question whether or not you shouldn't just dump it and get rid of it

7. KG7HVR

Probably not lol.
    I've been looking at selling a bunch of my radios I want to get a 991a

8. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe it is the best for you

9. KG7HVR

I like to use my original 706 for doing ft8 I don't worry about it burning up because I've had it for a few years
    I think they made him a lot better before they started cramming all the extra stuff in them. Around here where I live it's hard to sell anyrhing. these radios are not worth a lot so unless I can get 600-650 out of my radio locally I'm not going to get rid of it. The mk2G as bitter cat control also

10. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page