706-MKllG will not access certain repeaters

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD9CZQ, Aug 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD9CZQ

KD9CZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide. I have been working on this for the last week and I'm missing something!

Here is my problem, I'm trying to program my 706-MKllG for my local 2m repeaters. The first repeater works fine (146.610 PL tone 107.2). The 2nd repeater (146.895 PL tone 100.0) no audio is being transmitted out of the repeater, there is beep coming out of the repeater after I un-key the microphone. Given the presence of the audible beep after I un-key the mic, it appears the radio is sending out the proper PL tone.

Here are some of my notes:

The repeater is working properly with my HT

I receive 706 audio when I program my HT to 146.295

50 watt power output

I tried reversing the transmit and receive between VFO A & B

PL tone is turned on (FM-T)

Q6 RPTR is set to 100.0 (VFO A & B)

The HT is also receiving the repeater beep (146.895) when the 706 is un-keyed (no audio)

2m offset is set to .600 MHz

I have tried using the Quick Split Operation and One-touch repeater functions methods outlined in the manual

When XFC is pushed, 146.295 is displayed

The antenna is working properly

Thanks, Cary
    73's KD9CZQ

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

How are you determining that no audio is being passed through the repeater? Have other stations reported that they hear nothing?

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You may be out of the range of the repeater.

Just because you can kerchunk it, Does not mean that your signal is good.

Some repeaters require you to ID before your audio is passed too. (Great feature on new controllers :))

Good Luck.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a good chance that your 706 is overloading your handheld and you are not able to receive the repeater until you stop transmitting with the 706.

Glen, K9STH

5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what I am thinking, and asked if others were reporting no audio.

6. KD9CZQ

I appreciate all your help! Your responses have given me a couple more things to try, I was out of ideas.

K7JEM: I had my wife take my HT down a couple of housed and she can hear my audio on the 610 repeater and not the 895.

KA9JLM: I can hit the repeater with my 6 watt HT, I would think the 50 watts out of the 706 should be doing the same.

K9STH: I can turn down the power and still hit the repeater. I will send my wife down the block with my HT to see if that makes a difference.

Cary
    KD9CZQ

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if it is the repeater or your wife ?

My wife does not hear me when we are in the same room. :rolleyes:

Good Luck Cary. You will figure it out. :)

8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

Haven't read all the responses, but check to make sure the radio is not set to transmit in the narrow FM setting.

9. KD9CZQ

You guys nailed it! I sent out my roving HT (AKA wife on her bike) and turned down the power on the 706 and it is working correctly. The 706 was overpowering the HT at closer distances.

10 days of calling out on the repeater without a response, not to cool.

THANKS, Cary

10. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

CZQ:

Don't feel bad! The overloaded receiver problem crops up all the time. Especially newcomers, but even with "seasoned" operators, the person does not realize that a nearby receiver can easily be "blocked" from receiving the output from the repeater.

If you were to tune the handheld to the repeater input frequency, you would probably be able to tell if you have modulation even though the handheld would be overloaded. But, with a different frequency (the repeater output) not very likely.

Glen, K9STH