7,539 mile CW contact on 7 Watts - I am STUNNED!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N7BKV, Jun 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

I was up early 1320z June 4 (California) to work some of the OC and AS stations from my QTH Grid CM97vu.

Worked hard at it, but I dug a VK out of the very ragged QRN and the op confirmed the contact. Also he emailed me about it. From NSW Australia

That is 12,134 km (7,539 miles) !

The radio is a QRP Labs QCX-40 I built from the QRP Labs kit last year. It puts out about 7 watts. See my QRZ bio page for pics of the radio.

Ant is a very resonant half wave dipole up about 30' over sloping uneven terrain. It is oriented axially 99 degrees magnetic.

These sort of contacts are what stokes my CW game!

Brian N
    N7BKV

WB5YUZ, W9RAC, N3PM and 4 others like this.
  2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Fun, ain't it? Good job!

It's addictive and now you're hooked.

Welcome to the 1000 mi!e / watt club.

Now turn the power down! ;)

N7BKV likes this.
  3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You just never know !! :D
    After over 58 years as a CW only operator using Low Power (15w) this is the stuff that keeps my interest up !!

N4FZ and N7BKV like this.
  4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what I've been telling people this past week... there has been some INSANE late night/early morning greyline propagation going on. I'm at HL1ZIX in Korea now, and I ran a pile-up into the EU at 100w, a few days ago. Happened at 1:30 to 2am Korea time.

And this was SSB!

N4FZ and N7BKV like this.
  5. N7BKV

When I was getting RBN spots from Uruguay over 6400 miles earlier in the week I knew something was up!
    Sure keeps you in the game, doesn't it!

KE0EYJ, N4FZ and WR2E like this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Propagation is what makes ham radio interesting. Without the vagaries of propagation, ham radio would be no different from cell phones! :)

K7TRF and N7BKV like this.
  7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you pace the distance off? I want a second opinion.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

N7BKV likes this.
  8. N7BKV

Actually, Tom, to be more precise, op was field operating at Bendigo National Park. DX to my QTH is 12,813 KM great circle distance, not the mere 12,134 I thought is was. I'm glad I paced it off! :)

That works out to 7,963 miles. The extra 414 miles nearly wore me out!

9. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Way to go. Greyline is your friend.
    Mike N3PM

N7BKV likes this.
  10. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Brain I have worked many QRP stations.......daily. I am not a QRP OP, on the contrary I generally run power. However doing that makes me a great target for those with compromised antenna systems or areas of HOA's or the like. I get several calls daily from QRP stations. The more powerful signal makes it easier for them to hear. I'm amazed at some of the replies I get. I have had call from guys with gutters, awnings, people in nursing homes and more as antennas reply to my CQ's. I always get a kick out of how they get those 1 or 2 watt stations to radiate so well 1000 miles away. Great stuff you QRP OP's do for sure. 73 Rich...... listening

N7BKV likes this.