7.200 and Self Centric Morality

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KY5U, Oct 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Believe it or not, this subject is not intended to even talk about 7.200 except as a guiltless concept of morality.

"Employing a Google research engine that counts word usages in published writing form 1500 to the present, three academics, Jean Twenge, W. Keith Campell and Brittany Gentile, recently mapped out how words and terms appearing in print have drifted away from the usage of community based ones toward more individualistically based ideas. That is, terms and words like “self” and “unique” and “I come first” or “I can do it myself” have become more frequently printed. Words like “collective,” “share,” “band together,” and “common good” are receding in usage."

Even more concerning Dr. Drinka says, "Concurrently, words such as virtue and conscience appear less frequently in printed media. . ."

From the title and the quote, I am sure you can generally see where I am headed. Specifically, people judge themselves based on comparison to those they perceive worse than themselves. If you are a thief and steal from a poor family, at least you're not bad when comparing yourself to a child molester. Your comparison is not with a decent person because you could not handle losing the comparison and being shown how bad you really are.

The discussions about 7.200 for amateurs allows them to feel good no mater if they QRM or use colorful language because they're not as bad as THOSE GUYS. Dr. Drinka's reporting above on virtue and conscience are lost on most hams in an ongoing effort to find themselves blameless in a world of worse examples.

The conclusion is that spending more time looking at one's self in the mirror using a clear scale of amateur radio morality is much healthier for hams than talk about the bad guys on XXXX frequency. If you're using bad examples to judge yourself, you might want to look at your radio morals.

WB6MMJ, K5GTI, K9ASE and 3 others like this.
  2. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Psychoanalyzing the idiots on 7.200, 14.313 etc etc is a waste of time!

W5RHR, KB2SMS, WN2C and 4 others like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

/thread

N7ANN likes this.
  4. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice try Charlie, but I doubt that the thread will go too long before it falls into the place that thread like this usually go: straight to the bottom.

Good luck and thanks for trying!

W7UUU likes this.
  5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Not them, you and us.

WR2E likes this.
  6. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought 7.200 was the night band for the '14.313 net'

7. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Anybody heard from Walt lately?

8. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I listen to 7200 because it feels so good when I stop.

NL7W likes this.
  9. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ive never tuned into those frequencies. Just not my thing to either participate or listen. . . plus Im usually on CW or digital where the gentleman play... well, not really - I was trying to work 3C0L last night on 7.020 and it was an utter madhouse! Intentional QRM (tuners, fart noises, digital) met with the usual CW Police sending "LID LID" or "ASS ASS" over and over which led to people inviting them to copulate with themselves or asking for oral favors. . . .and this is all over CW - a centry-old mode - which means it's either a bunch of nerds or old-ish men behaving this way which makes it even more disturbing . sign of the times I guess...

10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Methinks all y'all are missing Charlie's point altogether.

You saw 7.200 and immediately your brain locked up and went no further to the meat of his post.

KD8ZMN and WZ7U like this.