6O0CW Somalia

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KC7YRA, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

By being able to change element lengths, the SteppIR can maximize the gain for its boom length easily. Play with 4NEC2 and you'll see that for any given boom length you can achieve the most possible gain by changing element lengths. The SteppIRs allow you to do that.

But...about half the hams I know with SteppIRs have had to service them within the time they've had them. That is a possible disadvantage if you don't have a system that's easy to service. In some cases, it means a crane and dropping down the antenna to ground level for service (due to moving parts). When you have moving parts, just like a car engine, service could become an issue.

2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well there you go! You need a SteppIR!! :)

3. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A good point, but I will say in 3 years, no problems at all and a local ham friend, who has had the same antenna I have since they first came out has had no issues.

The one thing I WILL say is these antennas are *NOT* the kind you can skimp on building. I took several days putting mine together, taking my time and making sure everything was "just so." You don't lay one of these antennas down with the parts spread out and have it up and running in an afternoon. Plan to spend a few days, but you will then be rewarded on the back end.

Got the 6O0 on 15 cw and ssb, but haven't heard them anywhere else. Maybe later on 40.

............Bob

4. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

they're painfully loud on 30 right now.

5. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What can I say, you're in a hole.

move

6. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I will give you that.

7. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

4 slots for me now - 20 and 15 phone, 15 and 30 CW.

8. W4PG

Man I have just GOT to get me a better antenna on 30 than my 80 meter folded dipole!! LOL!!

9. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked 6O3a back in February without having a clue as to what it was! Anyone know which Diamond DXCC country 6O0CW counts for?

10. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked them on 30cw tonight for my first qso with them in the log. It wasn't without its challenges though.. wow, lots of transmitting by lids/cops on their tx frequency. :eek: I'm happy I worked em' though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.