6O0CW Somalia

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KC7YRA, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

i work plenty off the back and don't own a tuner. the advantages of an expensive antenna with moving parts in the sky is a hard sell for a free antenna that works just fine.

2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The advantage of the SteppIR is not that you don't need a tuner (which is nice as I hate using tuners), it's that you get ONE antenna that covers all bands with near monoband performance. My single 4 ele beam covers *all* frequencies between 10 and 20 meters, not just the ham bands. Plus, you can't have good gain in one direction without sacrificing gain in the other - it's called front to back ratio. If you think you can work 'em off the back of your beam, you've never tried using the 180 degree feature. That *REALLY* rocks near sunset here when the JAs are coming in and with the flip of a switch, I can work South America to get another multiplier before going back to the JAs. I really never thought that would amount to much, until I tried it! Really cool!

By far the overall best antenna one can buy, hands down.

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem I have with the Steppir series is that while the element lengths change, the SPACING between the elements do NOT! So they are not optimized for maximum gain that you can get in a well designed MULTIBAND antenna. I need MAXIMUM GAIN!!! I don't care if I hafta use a Tuner.

4. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Try one. Trust me.

5. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

i don't buy antennas so there you go. i didn't buy my tower either

6. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

dupe dupe dupe

7. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

"working plenty off the back" means your f/b leaves a lot to be desired. As I said, I don't play the gain game.

Fair enough. I'm not one to turn down a free antenna either... although I'd rather leave that for a new ham.

8. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

So... a multiband antenna with lossy traps and the same fixed element spacing issue is better?

btw, fixed spacing is not really an issue. The only thing you really lose is bandwidth and with movable elements that's not a problem.

9. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyway, got them 30 cw and 15 phone. They are working a lot of NA on 21.270 right now!

10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

cant hear them either

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.