6m season

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KE8KMX, Mar 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I did this & it makes a "Good" antenna "Great".

Ed

N5TJD likes this.
  2. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

I did a SOTA last week in Pennsylvania. My very first call on 6m (ever! *with antenna selected to correct port!) I received a response on 52.525 FM. I was super stoked. Using a FT818 and ParEndfedz 6m EFHW!!!

Blue Knob Mountain PA
    71E4508A-6C42-4A0F-9461-9F3C6089FD78.jpeg

A couple days later I called from my County High Point on 2m. While having a QSO I mentioned I’ll be trying 6m in a bit. Sure enough my CQ was met on 6m FM. I’m 100% on 6m FM as of now.....but I think I’m just lucky!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    N3AWS, KI4POT and WD4ELG like this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going out for a SOTA/POTA activation tomorrow and will be trying 6m FM again.

I'll be just south of the VA/WV border in the GW National Forest if anyone wants to listen out.

Chris

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

https://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html

The PSK Reporter Map is a great way to check for 6m activity anytime. The FT8 automatic spotting feature shows there is typically some level of propagation much of the time.

W4ZNG likes this.
  5. W4ZNG

W4ZNG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for posting that. While I've used PSK Reporter for years, it's always been for HF. Turning more to VHF/UHF lately, I was wondering if there was any conversational keyboard digital traffic there. The answer seems to be a resounding "nope."

OK, I don't want to hijack this thread off of 6m. Just wanted to say thanks for pointing out that people are using PSK Reporter on VHF/UHF too.

6. N4OGW

N4OGW Ham Member QRZ Page

All of the wsjtx modes on VHF/UHF are intended for use with signals that are too weak or sporadic for conversation. If signals are strong enough, the conversational mode of choice is just voice SSB.

Of course, there are plenty of stations who will continue to use FT8 when signals are 599+20.

Tor N4OGW

KA2FIR likes this.
  7. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I ran 6m FM via my VX-7r HT for a while and netted two contacts. I heard other activity, but they didn't seem to be hearing me. I was just below the WV border. One of my 6m contacts was in PA, the other, judging by his QRZ page, was in GA!

Chris

KE8OKM and K3PDH like this.
  8. WB7PMP

WB7PMP Ham Member QRZ Page

9. WB7PMP

WB7PMP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been on 6m. since 1961 and design my own antennas excepting my initial purchase of a 4ele. Telrex. I miss Telrex! A lot of gas is passed over LFA's and most of it is used to boost sales. M2 antennas are well designed and tested but for simple (short) arrays you are unlikely to notice any real difference between them and the A50-5 Cushcraft you are considering. I have modeled it and there is not much you can do to improve it other than stack an0ther one about 12' above. A50-5's are foolproof, durable and if you can get one up 25-30' you may not be king of the mountain but at least you will be upslope for E's. Lots are around used for a fair price. I hope MFJ hasn't undermined the quality. Don't expect much in the way of propagation before May or much after early August. One never knows though. I worked Paraguay late season last year and there was a brief opening from S. FL to Argentina a week or so ago. Sometimes the end of the year shows some life as well. Monitor activity on DX Maps and listen for beacons. I operate one on 50.064. Ron, WB7PMP/

WA3GWK likes this.
  10. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Must be. I am in Roswell, NM for the kick off in DM73.

QRZ? 50.125

RRK