6m season

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KE8KMX, Mar 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would stay away from Cushcraft, its older technology and modeling. M2 is the way to go, you can also get on the air with a 6M Loop... Cubex 2 element quads have low wind load and you can use an old TV/radio shack rotor . I miss my 6M stuff, actually I miss all my VHF/UHF equipment, its ready to be unpacked at my new location and I hope to get on 6 in a few months.

2. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 5 ele yagi from M2, it works well. But I can't raise it high enough. I have the Par 6 meter moxon suspended between two trees at 50 feet...that should be able to get some good DX this spring. They are a good price and easy to assemble. And yes, I would get one now...although we're not at Es peak yet, we do have some tropo with springtime high pressure coming soon...and there is a ton more activity than in years past because FT8 makes the possibility of QSO's even in marginal conditions.

3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm hoping to be able to hang my 6m j-pole in a tree while camping and do some productive 6m FM work with my Yaesu VX-7r. If things are really good, I'll hang my dipole and use the same radio on 6m AM. I'll be content to get a few unplanned* on FM and 1, only 1 on AM some time before this radio dies. o_O :D

*I've done several on 6m FM and one on 6m AM, but only after talking to that person on 2m and having them switch over.

Chris

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll take actual performance (and reliability), even if it is from "older technology," over "modern design" or modeling any day. That said, M^2 does produce a very good product. And most important, is get SOMETHING up in the air, and get ON the air!

5. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

@KI4POT Chris - is there any 6M FM activity? AM activity? Could you take a Par moxon and put it together for some long distance work?

6. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Random activity like you'd see on 146.52 FM? Not that I've seen so far. All of my 6m contacts have been arranged. Most recently, during the VHF contest, I was activating a summit for SOTA and worked people on 2m, then followed them to 6m FM as agreed. A week before that, I had my buddy call me on 6m AM so I could see if 6m AM worked on my VX-7R (it does).

Otherwise, I've never gotten a contact on 6m FM or AM. I've tried both while camping. Last time, in Febuary, I left my 6m J-pole up for most of the trip and called CQ often enough for it to become the running joke at camp :rolleyes:. No response at all.

I suppose a better antenna might help, but I'm normally doing this while camping or activating a summit, so I packed light and using roll-up antennas of some sort. I'm not super-hardcore about 6m either. I'm mainly trying it because I have this radio with 6m capability and I want to use it! o_O

Chris

7. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a PAR Moxon on 6 meters. It works well for sporadic E as it is not too sharp. A longer yagi would be better for tropo but the moxon will work.

WD4ELG likes this.
  8. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

When solar conditions come back, I think 6M AM/FM should come back in style.
    In 1999, I used a VX-5R to work UK repeaters from south of Boston with the stock antenna/extender.

Ed

KE8OKM likes this.
  9. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Par-Endfedz 6m antenna. This past weekend I did a SOTA activation and called out 6m FM simplex. Usually it’s a lesson in frustration but this time, Someone answered!!!! Yay!
    My first 6m simplex QSO.....ham was 20 miles away but I’ll take it!

Erik
    KE8OKM

N3AWS, WA4SIX, WD4ELG and 2 others like this.
  10. N5TJD

N5TJD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd second an LFA as well, however, if you want to get the 5-el Cushcraft, W5WVO has a great writeup about extending the boom from 12' to 17.5' It also involves changing the elements lengths and spacing. All said it is a great write up and all you really need to modify it is a 6' x 1.5" OD x 0.058" 6060 Aluminum tubing, you can get cheaply at Texas Towers or DX Engineering... Forward gain benefits but it really improves the F/B ratio.