6M RF interference with PC & WIFI

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K4ZOT, Jul 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4ZOT

K4ZOT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have RF interference (wifi disconnecting) with my PC & wifi router which I have not been able to resolve since I started using my new 6M Amp with 600 Watts. I have placed about 30 ferrite cores on all the wiring into my PC and router, but the interference is still present. It is probably caused by the closest of my 5 element 6M yagi and my second floor shack and obvious Amp overload when using high power. My yagi is only 30' away and 15' above the shack. It normally only occurs when the yagi is pointed over the shack. I am not even sure running this much power it is even possible to prevent RF overload and the wifi from shutting down. I just thought someone might have another suggestion to help the situation.

Thanks for any advice.

Glenn
    K4ZOT

2. AB6RF

AB6RF Ham Member QRZ Page

An interesting debugging step would be to figure out which device get's overloaded, WiFi interface in the PC, or the WiFi router itself.

If using say a smartphone to connect to the same WiFi router, on the same band, does it also lose the WiFi connection when the PC does?

3. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

When you're dealing with gear operating at the milliwatt, yes, milliwatt, like WiFi, almost anything can jam it.

Including flat panel tv's.

The XYL's laptop sits on her desk, directly below a Toshiba flat panel tv. The WiFi signal is good and strong enough when the tv is off but, when it's on, the WiFi signal in her office is effectively jammed.

4. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

WiFi operates at microwaves and 6M is VHF, so the wide frequency separation should allow filtering to prevent front end overload.

5. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

If your outer is anything like mine, it's probably in a plastic case with metal screening to allow for cooling. Remember consumer electronics are notorious for poor shielding.

Is there anything else in your house that is WiFi enabled? Who knows everything that's WiFi or BlueTooth enabled?

When you go to network setup on your computer, how many different WiFi signals go you see? I routinely see WiFi signals from points 200 - 300 yards away.

Good luck! And good hunting!

6. K4ZOT

Good information from everyone. Thank you.

Glenn

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd guess simple fundamental overload. Back down on the power and see if there is a point where it no longer occurs.

8. K4ZOT

I bought a Techkey USB 3.0 802.11 ac WIFI doogle on Amazon ($22) and disconnected my old wireless card. I have now very few issues with my WIFI connections. I think the old wireless card was the real problem with perhaps a little RF leakage.