6M Propagation....where'd you go??

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by VE3TMT, Oct 22, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Other than the SWR and R = and X = numbers, nothing else you can tell in the shack without replacing the antenna with a good RF short circuit. That would allow you to measure cable loss; but you can't measure that with the antenna connected.

If you can't hear ANY beacons I'd be surprised.

Of course, this varies a lot by location but you seem to have for of them fairly close. I can routinely hear about six 6m beacons here, 24/7 -- they're close enough that propagation doesn't effect them (within about 350 miles). Then, a whole lot more than that when the band opens in almost any direction.

2. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I first went about building and installing the antenna, everything was great on the portable mast on the ground. SWR read perfect, etc. When the antenna first went up on the tower, the SWR was fine, then went sky high, 3:1 everywhere. Then it'd be fine again, then 3:1. Obviously something intermittent. I brought the antenna back down, double checked the SWR again (it was fine) and retightened all the connections. Back up it went. Same deal, SWR good, then bad, then good, then bad. When bad it would read 3:1 everywhere, do dip or anything. Had to be something wrong with the coax. Back up the tower and swapped the coax between it and my DX-B sloper. SWR on the Moxon was now fine, the sloper was bad. In the coax run for the Moxon, there is a PL-258 splicer where two lengths join together, it's not one solid run. I redid those connectors and everything has been fine since.

Interesting fact...the sloper also tunes on 6m, also the resonant point is about 52.5 MHz

Received signal strengths on the baby monitor band is about the same or slightly down than the Moxon.

3. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If the band IS open chatting on .125 can cover up weak DX other stations may need for the grid square! Stations you might not be hearing but they can and your signal is killing them! Saw this many times wit a friend 90 miles east of me. One or the other of us would be working a station and the other couldn't hear it but other stations were heard that were not being heard by station 1. I ALWAYS move off .125 if the contact is going to be more than a quick grid exchange. And if the band opens I call CQ on .125 then say moving up x to operate. Stations will follow to get out of the crud pile on .125 from the rag chewers!

4. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2mhz bandwidth for a 6m bean is not uncommon! When I had a 6m7JHV up(took it down because it shed parts to often!) it had an even narrow bandwidth than that.

5. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

6 meters is always open to "somewhere". Listen for the beacons. I can hear the K8MMM/B up in Ohio almost every day, here in Florida.

6. VE3TMT

Then I've obviously got antenna issues...I don't hear anything except baby monitors in the 49 MHz band.

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Poor Results on 6M ?
    Tune in some of the beacon frequencies, there are lists on the web, around 50.050 to 50.100 or if your radio does FM, listen on some of the published repeater frequencies in your area. Even the little used repeaters have to ID now and then.
    A Moxon may not be the best antenna for SSB/CW, I had a 4 element Yagi up and could work A local net on the other side of Metro Detroit , mainly guys 20 miles away, with My 8 Watts output on SSB.
    Mostly got reports of under S5 from guys who used HF antennas with a tuner and S9 reports from guys with REAL 6M Yagis.
    During the VHF contests I could work many stations up to 1500 miles but usually there was NOTHING on the air to work.

8. VE3TMT

Finally worked the KD2SL repeater in Syracuse NY, approx 90 miles south. Reports were solid, even running horizontal polarization. Rotating the Moxon 90 degrees dropped the signal from S9 to about S1. Could not even hear them on the sloper. Glad to know it is working.

9. K1SIX

K1SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

6M winter Es should be starting up soon and typically last until January, peaking in December. It's not as profound as summer Es. Perhaps, with a little luck a high lat. NA station can link into some TEP. Then, there's always Aurora. I have a few links placed on k1six.com that may be helpful.

Regards,
    Bob, K1SIX

10. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

When I operated 6 m SSB 30 years ago as Glen K9STH has stated, the band could pop open at any time. Of course we had standard Analog TV back then and many of us used that to watch the MUF increase up past 60+ MHz on the commercial TV broadcast. You could generally tell where the band would be open too ... North / South or East / West but now with Digital TV it's much more difficult to determine the same conditions. I used to hang out on 50.110 MHz but now guys are using 50.125 MHz as the calling frequency for Weak Signal operations. There's the other thing that can affect 6 m, the Sunspots as the 6 m band is known as the Magic band. I found where 10 m would be open and 6 m would be dead as if it fell off the earth but I've also seen the reverse happen too, 6 m would be open and 10 m dead. Here's a website used by practically everyone watching HF, VHF & UHF conditions:

http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=50&ML=M&Map=NA&DXC=N&HF=N&GL=N

Good DXing,

Dan
    WA9WVX