6m Propagation Question

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K0LWC, May 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve, I never really noticed. I will keep track of this in the future. TO me, I guess I just like the surprises that the band gives me.

Ed

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

We (long term 6 Meter ham operators, including myself) have much anecdotal evidence for a relationship between "dunderboomers" (thunderstorms) and summertime Es. The scientists want to know the specific WHY before they accept the phenomenon, or even the relationship. Hopefully, the two will eventually agree.

3. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

We just had a big thunderboomer here in NOVA and nothing is happening on 6 at the moment. 6pm Sat May 18.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Any thunderboomers BETWEEN yourself and 600-1200, (+/-) miles? That is what promotes Es. A t-storm right above you or nearby won't give YOU Es.

5. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

50.125 has been dead this season - when FT8 on 50.313 is jumping with activity. These days I tune to 50.313
    and listen. If there is a signal you can hear, FT8 is a better indication of band activity then CW beacons or waiting for someone to call CQ on .125.

6. W3TA

W3TA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been on several nights over the last two weeks trying to get a "feel" for the propagation for the upcoming contest. Spotted myself and spent some time CQ'n both SSB and CW with no response. But I keep seeing those darn FT8 spots.......... I am not set up for FT8 and have no desire to try it. I'm hoping the band comes alive this weekend.

This will be my 4th summer on 6m (been hamming since 1976, so I'm late to the party) and have found it to be a very exciting band - when open. I have worked into Europe, South America and Hawaii. All were brief unexpected contacts - talk about exciting!

Hopefully the band warms up this weekend.

Tom
    W3TA

7. KT5WB

KT5WB Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked a couple dozen stations yesterday evening on 6m FT8. Northeast US and Canada. 1,300 - 1,400 mile contacts running 40w off my 40M OCF Dipole. Omnidirectional and its not even supposed to resonate at 50MHz. 6m delta loop is under construction. Hope I can have it up in time for SMIRK.

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee, I can't remember the last time I heard someone call "CQ SMIRK". the contest is jun 15.

9. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well you got your wish. Some really good openings here. I had some stations +20. I worked about 25 stations S&P not trying very hard.