6M NOOB Propagation Question

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC7RAD, Jun 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC7RAD

KC7RAD Ham Member QRZ Page

So, I am relatively new to 6M but have worked HF for more than two decades. On 6M occasionally I will hear a few strong SSB signals on 50.125 during the day but they are very brief, only five to ten seconds. I have heard 2M tropo and it lasts much longer. I have heard meteor scatter that is longer than a few seconds.

I am guessing this is something other than tropo and MS. Could it be aircraft bounce?

TNX es 73s
    -Ken

2. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Could be, or Sporadic E propogation is flirting.

Ed

3. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure I understand your question.

4. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Some meteor scatter (meteor quantity is important) can only last for a brief set of seconds. If meteor quantity (several very good meteor showers happen every year) meteor scatter signals can last much longer.
    The troposphere can be very turbulent areas at times causing troposperic scatter to vary in intensity and duration of time that signals can be heard. Moisture and phase differences can also tweak tropospheric scatter in different ways.
    Personally, I doubt it was aircraft bounce unless it was a very big airplane and/or it was stationary to some degree.

5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to monitor 50.110 endlessly. There are a lot of very short bursts of propagation that come through at times. Just little bursts or burps of a word or two and gone. They sure got your attention but usually lead nowhere. Sometimes they might be a precursor to a decent opening so you have to pay attention when it happens.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Meteor scatter bursts can last less than one second, quite often. Actually, most of the time.

That's why if it's not a meteor shower or meteor storm, it can take 50 transmissions to just get the other guy's callsign.

6m m.s. is far more prevalent than 2m m.s. If you've heard meteor bursts on 2m that lasted several seconds, that had to be a major shower or storm, because that normally doesn't happen.

7. KC7RAD

KC7RAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Must be Sporadic E. I worked West TX a few days ago. Heard him call CQ out of no where and was 57. I called him, we exchanged info and about 30 seconds after I first heard him, he just faded down into the noise.

This morning there was a 45 minute opening from Iowa through the East Coast to FL.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, Sporadic-E can come and go like that. A meteor scatter burst wouldn't last 30 seconds, although a real zinger may occasionally last close to that (big, long-burning meteor leaving a huge trail). Uncommon.

Most meteor scatter bursts, especially providing strong enough signals to work on SSB, are about two seconds or less, sometimes much less.

WA3GWK likes this.
  9. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

During those very early morning VHF contest activities, and you're running on coffee or whatever, and have a need for that extra contest point or two, scatter signals are a great catch. Obviously, on both ends, both operators are under a lot less pressure to make a contact so you can spend that extra time with scatter.

Those crazy VHF contesters :D but I won't mention any calls

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Nor yours.:confused: He is probably (at this time of year) hearing some Sporadic (VERY sporadic) E propagation. MS is a distant (very, VERY distant) improbability. Without knowing the location of the OP and what he/she might be hearing, TE is also unlikely.