6M Magnetic loop

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W4WVW, Dec 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W4WVW

W4WVW Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Never used one, but it's half the size of a conventional 6m halo, which is 36" in diameter.

The conventional 6m halo, which is 1/2-wavelength in circumference, is easy to match and made of almost anything can handle a kilowatt of transmitting power. And it's still small, just twice the size of the "magnetic loop."

I'd go with a regular 1/2-WL circumference loop unless space is so tight it cannot possibly fit.

3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

having not used that particular one, I could not recommend it. BUT it is an interesting design. It theory, as long as it meets the criteria for small loops it should work just fine. I've seen them made for 10m, and they worked beautifully.... so a good loop for 6m is not out of the realm of possibility.

4. G0VKT

G0VKT Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

At the price of buying one or building one with decent copper tubing, silver solder, and a quality vacuum variable, I found a Cushcraft 5el beam on Craigalist for about a third.

I built a Moxon out of PVC, spare wire, and a UHF connector. Worked Mexico from SW Washington state on it, and it was maybe a $4 antenna at 15ft.

6m really needs some directionality to it, and a loop has bidirectionality. But gain here is more critical. A dipole might even have better gain depending on height. A 2el Moxon is easy to build. A 3el is more tedious, but worth it. It would be smaller than a closet door on 2el. Mine weighed 3 lbs.

Loops are also a beast to tune. Unless you build it about 1/3 of a wavelnegth in circumference and 'set it and forget it', it may ens up being so sharp as to need a retune between 50.260 and 50.313. That means automating the variable cap or climbing up to retune it, or hoping your ATU can do 6m (many cannot). Automating can be done, but its not simple.

A monoband 4 square or delta loop qould probably perform equal or better to a loop. But my vote is Moxon.

W4WVW likes this.