ad: wmr-1

6m Activation of the Highest Peak in the Northeast - Mt. Washington, NH

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AB1OC, Sep 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB1HQS

KB1HQS Ham Member QRZ Page

That activation would count for a Parks on the Air (POTA) activation as well. Just have to upload the logs to appropriate POTA manager. See the website for details. Doing a dual SOTA and POTA activation helps bring in the chasers and get more QSO's in the log book.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

In Sept 2015, K1BG and I did a SOTA activation from Mt Washington. It was supremely disappointing. It seems that even with alerts, there are few takers in NE for SOTA. We had an FT450D batt powered, with a buddipole-beam up 40 feet, at the summit (actually about 20 feet from top).

We activated from a concrete pad and did indeed ask for permission.

We had no problem with the 'activation criteria'. We were not near vehicle and not in parking lot.

Be VERY CAREFUL that you check the summits list for SOTA. Wachusett aint on it....

I am thinking of the Tetons in future. NOT NE.

3. AC1DC

AC1DC Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Since 1965 Ive operated from just about every driveable high hill/mountain in MA, NH, VT, and ME from the legendary W1MHL contest stations to 1-2 op day trips.
    Mt Equinox in VT is one of my favorites from the days of a CE 10A, HB 6&2 M transverters at about 15-20W, a HQ-129X , stacked 3el Hilltopers for 6, and a 11 el Cushcraft for 2. Modern transportation was via a 53 Chevy wagon, 54 Mercury sedan, and a 37 Buick Roadmaster sedan which I still have. I was the first to put VT on with 6 and 2M SSB and CW in a serious way, early morning tropo and random meteors out to 1000 miles or so was the norm with low power.
    The last trip was about 5 years ago with modern gear and a 68 Impala Super Sport 396 convertible which I also still have.

Two years ago NB, NS and PEI grids were activated during a 10 day family vacation with gear from 50-1296 mHz. The trunk in the Impala is huge and a pint size trailer carried the generator, fuel, 432 and 1296 antennas, masts, cable, tools, spare parts, etc. Antennas for 50-222 rode under the car. I also had Heath SB-230's I converted for 6 and 2 when needed to bore a hole in the ether.

Carl

5. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoy reading the experiences from all of you seasoned (and new) hams. Thanks!! K2SDS

6. AB1OC

AB1OC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful comments! Keep them coming. We'll be on Mt. Wachusett this Saturday! Weather looks good right now - Sunny with a high of 83F. We'll be on 6m again and will be adding MSK144 (Meteor Scatter) and FT8 digital modes to our setup.