6JM6A in linear amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by PS7PC, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No, it's not. See post #8:

"I have four 6JM6a and I intend to use them on a linear amplifier with my homebrew SSB and CW QRP 40 meters transceiver."

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Post 8 is referring to my typo. Original poster asked about 6MJ6, not 6JM6.

3. WB2WIK

Except it's not.

See Post #1 by the original poster. It's never been changed:

"Someone in the group has already used 6JM6A vintage tubes in linear amplifiers?"

4. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

6JM6 or 6MJ6??? Goodgrief!
    That can be confusing, huh?
    Who do we blame for this nomenclature?!?
    Both devices were RCA products?
    So which came first?
    Did the JM predate the compactron? Why would they do this to us? Why? What were they thinking???? What happened? Why?
    Ya know what?
    I don't think it's just the 6mj/jm6 debacle!
    I think that there might be other compactrons that came along to similarly add to the confusion, with weird nomenclature!
    Some such thing as 6dq6/6qd6 and 6bq6/6qb6 or something or another that I seem to recall as dsylexically challenging.
    Honestly all that was before my time. :D
    All I seem to remember is that the 6LQ6 was basically a 6l6 with a cap on the anode and thus handled a higher voltage due to less chance of flashover.....
    TAKE NOTE::cool:
    I do have a stash of various 12 pin compactrons such as the 6jm6's, across town at my shop.
    Basically all those similar tubes that happen to be all the wrong ones for any of my own application. :rolleyes:
    If someone had a need for such things, as for building some sorta esoteric pine board modulator thingy ma jig..... Or QRP class c whatever ya wanna make,,, perhaps they could PM me or Email or something and I am sure we could work out a way of helping ya out ....:)

5. WB2WIK

I think when most of these sweep tubes were developed the manufacturers had no idea people would still be using any 60 years later. They had to know that television set designs would be taken over by solid-state circuits.:p

KD2ACO likes this.
  6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

In the early 70's, my dad bought a 21" Zenith color TV that was almost solid state. It still had tubes where the tough jobs in a TV were, namely, the horizontal output (sweep) and damper. I was a bit disappointed because we used to have fun figuring out which tube had gone badly in the old junkers we had up until then.

I guess it was the hybrid transceiver of TVs!

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Try reading before posting the next time, the OP has the 6JM6

8. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just because you lost the G811 tube discussion, you had to comment here.

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Why are you so afraid of being corrected by anyone? And the G-811 discussion is just on hold while I do more important things than dealing with just a low level distraction.

W1QJ likes this.
  10. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,,,, at any rate if anyone has a need for NOS RCA 6jm6a compactrons, I will offer to send them for the cost of postage....