67 miles on 50w SSB

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KK4YWN, Nov 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I painted my antenna, rotator, and mast flat black. If you aren't looking for it you won't see it.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've done that a few times in the past and you can reduce the rotator noise to "zero" by just using UHMW gasketing between the rotator and the vent pipe. (UHMW = ultra high molecular weight, sheets and rolls of tape of this stuff are readily available and cheap.) It reduces conducted noise and vibration from "terrible" to "nonexistent."

3. N1NQC

N1NQC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the idea !

K

4. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ash- only $314? Just wait.. During the last three months- I added 1296 and 222. For 222 bought a
    Yeaesu 736R, added a TE systems 250watt amp, loop antenna and all of that was north of $1500.

Then I added 1296 module for my IC9100, 45 loop yagi antenna, which was another grand. Its all relative
    to what you can afford and what you want to do. My focus in both contesting/weak signal work and rag chew. Life is too short for QRP.
    Steve- I check into Rogers net every Sunday morning from FN30JV.

I also know Art- we speak often..
    David

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

VHF-UHF-SHF can certainly be a sinkhole, even if you homebrew a lot.

No matter what you invest, consider my friend Wayne N6NB who built up ten rover stations. 50 MHz through 10.3 GHz, including transverters, amplifers, and antennas with rotators on platforms. Ten of them.

I suspect that cost $40K or so, at discount prices.

But...the So Cal Contest Club has "won" most of the VHF-UHF contests (club competition) in the past several years as a result, as Wayne has "loaned" these complete rover stations to dozens of operators over the years. He even instructs newcomers where to park and operate, as he's "scoped out" every good location from central to southern CA and knows where they all are. That's probably 200K miles of driving, to experiment.

Folks like that may be impossible to replace. Takes serious dedication.

6. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

With all this talk, I guess I have to put my 9 el LFA back on the tower and get back on 2 SSB! Took it down to experiment with a 6 meter stack and some other antennas. Had a blast when it was up, even worked several stations in Minnesota during an E's opening.

7. KK4YWN

add $30 for a mic cable (XLR to 8-pin whatever you call it). i should have built one but the lazies got me.

i'm going home tonight. my lady said the new radio arrived tuesday. i'm hopeful it functions. i have some related projects planned... it would suck to have to spend a ton of money repairing the thing before i can upgrade it.

8. KK4YWN

It works. I found an old cb mike in a pile of junk. Radio shack still sells 8-pin connectors. I grabbed one and wired it up. Audio reports are good.

All the variable resistors are dirty so I picked up cleaner/lube. The meter lamp is dead: need to measure the V and get a resistor + led.

I bought some switching transistors as well. There's a led that lights "busy" when the squelch breaks: I need to pick-off that line and buffer it to signal a pc. This radio will serve echolink duty when I'm away during the week.

Add another $18 to the station cost.

I still haven't found an inexpensive source for aluminum so the little six element stays in the rotator awhile longer. I have some feedline loss to cut out but I think I'm going to let that be until a new antenna array is ready.

Maybe a hundred watt amp will be the next project.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. What I stated many times in the past (long before recent FCC allocation and privilege changes) was the need for a "VHF/UHF" all mode transceiver, providing 6 M, 2 M, 70 cm, and options for 220 MHz (OOPS, that's now 222 MHz) and 1.2 GHz. A perfect companion to "HF ONLY" radios, and no (or less) compromises seen in the current "DC-to-Light" radios. That would have been perfect for Techs and VHF+ enthusiasts.
    Especially SSB and CW, the VHF/UHF bands are largely underused.

10. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't don't get hooked on EME. You'll have to sell the boat and take out a second mortgage on the house, or so I hear. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.