67 miles on 50w SSB

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KK4YWN, Nov 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

:D:D
    Ash,

I ran a 2 m Squalo on a 78" aluminum mast bumper mounted on several of my vehicles using an ICOM IC-260A 10 W driving a Mirage 1016 RF amplifier roughly 120 W output and the average long haul contacts were up to 180 miles away. Maybe it looked funny but it worked great. I even knew guys using small 2 m beams mounted in the pick-up beds ... they even had small rotors to turn the beams while traveling down the highways ... now that had to look funny. Had I still have a drivers license I would have built a Turnstyle just to compare the performance against a Squalo for mobile use.

Dan
    WA9WVX

2. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

73 Duster, 318 4bb,Hemi red (Not mine,another ham!)
    Ic 251a
    Tokyo High Power 80w amp
    Crossed dipoles on a roof mag mount.

It was easy to work base stations for a hundred miles, not so easy to buy gas without answering the curious!

Rege

3. KA2BPP

KA2BPP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve, WIK

yes he does. Still on Sundays. 144.250 at 10:30am local time. Still get the same coverage with check-ins.
    and by the way, thanks for the contact back in the 1987 Sept vhf contest Hi HI

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool. In Sept '87 I was at home in NJ. But in June '87 and again in June '88 I was in VA in FM27, and we broke some records from there.:eek:

5. KA2BPP

Ash,

Forgot to mention the 205 morning group. 144.205. every morning around 8am folks from NE to down by you are on. Some days it works and others it is just local but there is a lot of activity on 205 ssb. Also if you don't already know about it, the http://www.on4kst.org/chat/start.php will help you find folks on in uour neck of the woods.

Also N1GC is in your grid and he is usually on that freq. When the band is slightly enhanced, he is workable from Fn30 and the group in FN31

73 and have fun

6. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

NE? Man I have a lot of work to do if i'm to hit NE :)

I found a kenwood ts-711a on ebay and won the auction... under $300. It gets nice reviews and more importantly: has an internal power supply. Hopefully its not crap. It'll be nice to park the 857d in the car permanently.

Resetting the financial counters to zero, so far I'm into it:
    $64 for tv rotator *
    $12 tv mast *
    $30 4 guage copper (for six element cheap yagi)
    $10 hardware bits-n-bobs
    $190 for kenwood ts-711a (i sold a studio mic pre-amp/eq/compressor for $100 and put that toward the radio)
    $8 rotator control cable *
    $60 100-ft lmr400 and pl259's**
    ===============
    $314 thus far

The new radio is 25w output. The current radio does 50w, but I tested it at 25w and was able to make 36 mile contact with a friend. So my link-budget*** is currently $8.77 per mile :)

* clearance items
    ** local ham group deal
    *** i know this isn't whats normally referred-to as a link budget i'm just having fun with words and numbers

Known needs:
    Microphone (I have a locker full of studio mics. I'll probably try to scrounge an xlr connector and a box to put it in)
    MORE POWAH (charge pump gain): Pallet amps are looking good. Still researching.
    MORE POWAH (antenna gain): Top secret home built array that may also be used for cooking turkey.
    Rooftop tower: Still searching for local/inexpensive aluminum angle and an inexpensive welding professional.
    Gain antenna for the car. Horizontal.

7. N1NQC

N1NQC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey All

I was on 2 SSB years ago and had a BLAST.From E. MA with 175 W and a 7 element beam LOTS of contacts to MD and beyond.But like so many hams I kind of "shuffled through" things, moved to another QTH and went after other areas of ham radio interest.

I am now gearing up to go back on 2 SSB/CW : I have a 251, some flex line, etc. Still gotta order my Innov 7 element LFA and amp. Trying to set up a "point to point" link with a guy in W Long Island at little to no band enhancement (flat band contact) . I have a couple of others here in the Boston area gearing up for this. But admittedly,kind of a gradual process.

8. KA2BPP

when you are set up drop me an email and we set up a try. should be easy shot

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Boston to Long Island is a 99% sure flat band contact on 2m.

I lived in the North End several years ago and had a small 9L M2 beam atop a 50' tall 4-story house/condo overlooking the Harbor and could work Long Island and NJ 24/7 almost every day of the year on 2m SSB running 100W. It's not far, and the path is reasonably flat. L.I. is a great VHF location, as there aren't any mountains, the "hills" are small, and looking towards New England it's over the Sound -- great path.

Never used the Innov 7L LFA, they didn't exist back then but it ought to do fine.

I worked into Ohio and NC from there many times, with just slight enhancement from temp inversions and stuff. Didn't take "much." It's a great area for VHF, enjoy!

10. N1NQC

N1NQC Ham Member QRZ Page

Fine Biz !

Artie, I'll put you on "the list".

Steve, Thanks for your info.

I am THINKING about MAYBE temporarily flipping my existing 4 element 124 WB vertical beam to flat side for the next VHF contest. I have NO amp (yet) so the power (even WITH the gain of the beam ) would only be around 9 or 10 watts. Flea power, but better than nothing.

I could also temporarily put up my Cushcraft 10 element at 20 ' .No brainer, more gain, but aiming during a CONTEST would require many more "re aiming trips" to the roof, something I may or may not want to take on.

As dumb as it sounds I cannot /will not use a rotor due to the possibility of noise traveling down the stink pipe into another apt.My antenna situation is dicey enough as is and I don't want that temptation which could bring a complaint (this is NOT an easy hobby for apartment dwellers). Most of the time it will be "locked down" to the SW anyways. Maybe 80 or 90 % of the DX action is going to be in that direction under "normal" /non contest conditions. Terrain to my SW seems fairly clear, so I (hopefully) should get a good signal "development".

I'm kind of more interested in taking a listening "survey" of who's "around" (New England and maybe beyond) and whether they may be interested in some SSB work when there is NO contest going on.

I'll probably hold off ordering my antenna until AFTER the Christmas shipping season

K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.